There are three members in my famiily vs There are four members in my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohyoongliat

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have a son and a daughter. My husband is the other member of my family.

Which of the following should I say?

There are three members in my family. OR
There are four members in my family.

Thanks.

You are a member of your family. So four.

You are a member of your family. So four.
Where I live, it is common to write: There are four members in my family, including myself. Is this common among native speakers?

It's common enough if we think our listeners might be in any doubt about it.

I would be far more likely to use 'people' rather than 'members' in that sentence.

Where I live, it is common to write: There are four members in my family, including myself. Is this common among native speakers?

I have a question. Why did you choose "myself" instead of "me"?

I have a question. Why did you choose "myself" instead of "me"?
The reason is, as I said, it is commonly written as There are four members in my family, including myself.
So, it should be "me". Thanks for the correction.

I would be far more likely to use 'people' rather than 'members' in that sentence.

I would be far more likely to use 'people' rather than 'members. I would be far more likely.., Is there a typo? Thanks.

The reason is, as I said, it is commonly written as There are four members in my family, including myself.
So, it should be "me". Thanks for the correction.

My general rule is to use the regular objective pronoun if it works in a sentence. This helps prevent overuse of reflexive pronouns.

Common expressions among native speakers include:

I belong to a family of four. (More likely in reference to your present family.)
I come from a family of four. (More likely in reference to your parental family.)

We are a family of four. Going back to your original post, I think this is by far the most natural and common expression.

I would be far more likely to use 'people' rather than 'members. I would be far more likely.., Is there a typo? Thanks.

I thought that it should read "I would far more likely use 'people' rather than 'members'.

I thought that it should read "I would far more likely use 'people' rather than 'members'.

That is a different, though correct, construction.

I would [far] more likely use ...
I would be far more likely to use ...

That is a different, though correct, construction.

I would [far] more likely use ...
I would be far more likely to use ...
Thanks, emsr. Do the sentences have the same meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back