Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
How could the "it" in "it was found" in both these sentences mean different.Of course it can be inferred contextually but still...
1. "In one of the pictures of the car,it was found to be a Ford Mustang GT" (I believe, here, "it" refers to the car and serves as the subject)

2. "In one of the pictures of the car,it was found out that the rear view mirror was broken"

Or does "It" serves the same purpose in both sentence ?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How could the "it" in "it was found" in both these sentences mean different.Of course it can be inferred contextually but still...
"In one of the pictures of the car,it was found to be a Ford Mustang GT" (I believe, here, "it" refers to the car and serves as the subject)
"In one of the pictures of the car,it was found out that John Doe died of an explosion from inside"

Or does "It" serves the same purpose in both sentence ?

Neither of the sentences is natural. The first one is not even possible. In the second, it would not be possible to know that from a picture.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that neither sentence is particularly natural. However, leaving Mike's reservations to one side, and suspending disbelief..
The "it" in the first sentence does refer to the car. The "it" in the second sentence refers to what was found out, ie the fact that John Doe died of an explosion from inside.

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Neither of the sentences is natural. The first one is not even possible. In the second, it would not be possible to know that from a picture.
Sorry my post was misleading.Actually the latter(that is the death of John Doe) had nothing to do with the car being a Ford in the first sentence,if that was what you meant. .I have altered the original post completely.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please don't change a post after people have responded to it. It can make their responses seem pointless. Simply explain the slip and post a fresh version.

Status
Not open for further replies.