Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
I am not sure about the usage of the verb "outpace" ( businessinsider.com/10-most-powerful-militaries-in-the-world-2013-6 ) :

"Nuclear capabilities are not included in this calculation — but Russia and the United States far outpace the rest of the world in nuclear armament, with 8,500 and 7,700 nuclear weapons, respectively."

This particular usage suggest that "outpace" is a continuous state verb (is better than). But dictionaries suggest that "outpace" should be a one-off action verb (become better). What do native speakers think?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not sure about the usage of the verb "outpace" ( businessinsider.com/10-most-powerful-militaries-in-the-world-2013-6 ) :

"Nuclear capabilities are not included in this calculation — but Russia and the United States far outpace the rest of the world in nuclear armament, with 8,500 and 7,700 nuclear weapons, respectively."

This particular usage suggest that "outpace" is a continuous state verb (is better than). But dictionaries suggest that "outpace" should be a one-off action verb (become better). What do native speakers think?

In this use, "outpace" means "surpass" or "outdo".

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

To outpace is not to do something better, it is closer to doing something faster or having more of something. Pace means a step that a person takes while walking. If I can do forty paces in a minute and you can do fifty - you outpace me. The sales of GM products are far out pacing the sale of Ford products - GM is selling more than Ford. In your sample sentence above it is stated that Russian and the United States have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined.

toughit

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
So, "outpace" is a one-time action verb (Russia defeated .....) , not a state verb (Russia is better than ....)? And "outpace" should have been in past tense?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, "outpace" is a one-time action verb (Russia defeated .....) , not a state verb (Russia is better than ....)? And "outpace" should have been in past tense?

No, it is fine in the present tense. Russia and the US currently have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world.

toughit

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
So, "outpace" is a continuous-state verb (Russia & USA are better than the rest of the world with respect to nuclear weapons)?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, "outpace" is a continuous-state verb (Russia & USA are better than the rest of the world with respect to nuclear weapons)?

I would not call "outpace" a "continuous-state verb".

toughit

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
United States
Suppose, Peter currently has better school grades than Joseph. Can I write:

"Peter outpaces Joseph in academic performance."

where "outpace" is in present tense?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, every time this troll starts a thread, it will be closed.
So, I'm not sure what the point is.

Status
Not open for further replies.