Is this sentence wrong? "since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is this sentence wrong? "since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no..."

Is this sentence with bold words wrong or ambiguous?---
"If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them."

I guess here what Steve Jobs wanted to say should be:"If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, no personal computer would have them (the multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts). But Windows copied the Mac, which made this likely."

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Is this sentence wrong? "since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no..

Is this sentence with bold words wrong or ambiguous?---
"If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them."

I guess here what Steve Jobs wanted to say should be:"If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, not personal computer would have them (the multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts). But Windows copied the Mac, which made this likely."

The original sentence is correct and unambiguous. You revision is incorrect. Your "not" must be "no".

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: Is this sentence wrong? "since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no..

The original sentence is correct and unambiguous. You revision is incorrect. Your "not" must be "no".

Sorry, it's a slip of the pen, but I'm still not entirely clear about the sentence in bold.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

If Apple had not introduced these features, no personal computer would have them because Windows didn't think of them - they just copied Apple - so they wouldn't have had the idea.

Last edited:

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

If Apple had not introduced these features, no personal computer would have them because Windows didn't think of them - they just copied Apple - so they wouldn't have had the idea.
But here "since" means because. (I don't think it means "from some moment" here.)
why not use "If Windows didn't copy the Mac, it's likely no personal computers would have them."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

But here "since" means because. (I don't think it means "from some moment" here.)
why not use "If Windows didn't copy the Mac, it's likely no personal computers would have them."

Cause there is no question of "if." (At least in Jobs' mind.) Windows copied the Mac. Not "if Windows copied the Mac."

Last edited by a moderator:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Macs had the fonts.
Because Windows copied the Mac, PCs have the fonts too.

Because Windows copied the Mac, IF Mac had not had the fonts, then Windows would not have had them either (there would have been no fonts to copy). Therefore, no computers would have had them.

Jobs assumed that one one else could possbily have throught up this idea aside from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Because we're talking about imaginary past events, so we have to use the third conditional.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I still think there is something wrong in this sentence. Shouldn't it be:
Since (= because) Windows just copied the Mac, personal computer have them now.
or
If Windows had not copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them.
???

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

There is nothing wrong in the original sentence.
Your sentences are also correct.

registered

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

There is nothing wrong in the original sentence.
Your sentences are also correct.

So, Since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them. = Since Windows just copied the Mac, personal computer have them now???

Here, don't the underlying parts have the opposite meanings? I don't think they are the same.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

So, Since Windows just copied the Mac, it's likely that no personal computer would have them. = Since Windows just copied the Mac, personal computer have them now???

Here, don't the underlying parts have the opposite meanings? I don't think they are the same.
Your first sentence works with the unexpressed idea "If Windows had not copied the Mac".

Status
Not open for further replies.