Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #1

    Annus Horribilis

    Is "annus horribilis" the phrase invented by the Queen or was the phrase used before the tragic events in the royal family in the 1990s?


    That's what I found in the dictionary:
    annus horribilis: definition of annus horribilis in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    But it's not stated how long the phrase has been in use. Had you heard it before the Queen mentioned it in her speech?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    Is "annus horribilis" the phrase invented by the Queen or was the phrase used before the tragic events in the royal family in the 1990s?


    That's what I found in the dictionary:
    annus horribilis: definition of annus horribilis in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)
    But it's not stated how long the phrase has been in use. Had you heard it before the Queen mentioned it in her speech?
    See the information here: Annus horribilis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  3. englishhobby's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 1,681
    #3

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Thank you for the information, I have read this article before. It says that the phrase "is cited by the Oxford English Dictionary as being in use as early as 1985". I just wanted to ask you (the native English speakers) when you personally heard this phrase for the first time. Was it a new phrase for you personally by the time of the Queen's using it?
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    Quote Originally Posted by englishhobby View Post
    Thank you for the information, I have read this article before. It says that the phrase "is cited by the Oxford English Dictionary as being in use as early as 1985". I just wanted to ask you (the native English speakers) when you personally heard this phrase for the first time. Was it a new phrase for you personally by the time of the Queen's using it?
    I don't really know. Because I am familiar with Latin, this phrase would not have sounded odd to me. Until today, I had no idea that Queen had used it.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    I first heard it in news reports of Lizzie's speech.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 11-Jan-2014 at 22:39.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #6

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    I think she prefers to be called 'Brenda', 5.

    At first I thought she meant she had a sore bottom.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #7

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    At first I thought she meant she had a sore bottom.
    Most of us who also misheard/misunderstood it thought she was referring to Phil the Greek.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Annus Horribilis

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Phil the Greek.
    In case you are wondering, ems is referring to His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member of the Order of Merit, Companion of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit,Canadian Forces Decoration, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom. (wikipedia)

  8. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: Annus Horribilis



    Just in case you are interested, as I am sure you all are, this is the ribbon for the higher ranks of the Order of Logohu.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •