Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"___________ and further development of Union of Architects of Kaliningrad Region".

The gap should be filled with a word which means "establishment" or "foundation". The Union of Architects of the USSR was founded in Moscow in 1932. The regional sub-division in Kaliningrad mentioned above was a newly created organization (in 1950).

Which word suits best to fill this gap - "Establishment", "creation" or any other (which, probably, includes the meaning "devolution")?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"___________ and further development of Union of Architects of Kaliningrad Region".

The
gap should be filled with [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] a word which means "establishment" or "foundation". The Union of Architects of the USSR was founded in Moscow in 1932. The regional sub-division in Kaliningrad, mentioned above, was a newly created organization (in 1950).

Which word [STRIKE]suits [/STRIKE] is best suited to fill this gap - "Establishment", "creation" or any other (which, probably, includes the meaning "devolution")?

Thanks in advance!
Whatever word you put in the gap would not make this a sentence. The text would have to be rewritten so as to include the concept that power had been given to the newly formed Union.

Alvib

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The text would have to be rewritten so as to include the concept that power had been given to the newly formed Union.
Actually, I wondered whether there is a specific word for "establishment" of the Union. Probably, there is a specific common word or phrase that is used to describe the process when a certain organization establishes ite regional sub-divisions within the country/state? For instance, "the embassy is established", etc.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I wondered whether there is a specific word for "establishment" of the Union. Probably, there is a specific common word or phrase that is used to describe the process when a certain organization establishes ite regional sub-divisions within the country/state? For instance, "the embassy is established", etc.
A general term used when an entity is started is "founded". For example, XYZ Corporation was founded in Albany in 1934. From what I understand, you are trying to find a word which states that a sub-group was started. The main organization was begun in 1932 and then another group (A part of the first one) was begun in 1950. "Established, Founded, Begun, Started, Formed" and other words would work but no one word would convey the idea that the second group was part of the first group. I would write "The Kaliningrad Union, a sub-division of of The Union of Architects of the USSR, was begun in 1950". Furthermore, to write that the Kaliningrad Union was a newly created organization indicates that this Union was not related to The Union of Architects of the USSR but was a completely new group.

Alvib

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A general term used when an entity is started is "founded". For example, XYZ Corporation was founded in Albany in 1934. From what I understand, you are trying to find a word which states that a sub-group was started. The main organization was begun in 1932 and then another group (A part of the first one) was begun in 1950. "Established, Founded, Begun, Started, Formed" and other words would work but no one word would convey the idea that the second group was part of the first group. I would write "The Kaliningrad Union, a sub-division of of The Union of Architects of the USSR, was begun in 1950". Furthermore, to write that the Kaliningrad Union was a newly created organization indicates that this Union was not related to The Union of Architects of the USSR but was a completely new group.

I am thinking about better sub-title of the article, that's why I am restrained with such abstract nouns as "establishment", etc:-|. So, overall: it was a new group in Kaliningrad that was established by the decision of the USSR Union (so that to draw the decision making close to the region).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Alvib

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Autonomy?
Not exactly, they were not autonomous completely. I need a word with the meaning "creation". When organization is "brand new", when there has never been anything similar to it, its better to use "creation" (especially, if you'd like to underline this). That Union was "brand new" in that region, but it was a regional sub-division of the central organization as well.

What words with tha abovementioned meaning are usually used when native speakers are talking about, for instance, governmental institution/non-government organization/corporation opens it's regional branch/office?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK- I think you're going to have to use a fuller explanation, like the Union, a regional sub-division of xxxx, was created/established/founded/set up.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The gap should be filled with a word which means "establishment" or "foundation".
Then use "establishment" or "foundation". This is a good general principle. As Tdol and others have implied, you need at least a sentence to explain what you want to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.