Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I encountered this problem long ago when I tried to tell friends of mine (one from New Zealand and two from the USA) that "now we are walking along...". I consulted Merriam-Webster that gives the following definition of esplanade: "a level, open area ; especially : an area for walking or driving along a shore". However I was surprised at awkward pause as long as I tried to use this word speaking with native speakers.

What is the difference between these words? Which one is considered to be as a general one?

As far as I understand "embankment" is used mostly regarding the riversides. But it seems to carry too much of "engineering" meaning. Canadians are more inclined to quays, as long as Singapore manages to treat equally "quays", "esplanades" and "embankments". Australians seem to use esplanades quite frequently. London is famous for Thames Embankment*.

*This thread contains personal observations and experiences only (based mostly on unofficial sources).

Thanks in advance!

Esplandade is a fine word, but it's not very common in the US.

To tell you the truth, I myself did not know it was associated with a shoreline. That is why you probably encountered a pause.

Are you referring to what was built up to keep the water in place? Then it's leveled off so you can walk or bike along it? I'm trying to remember what it's called in New Orleans - I've walked along it myself.

Are you referring to what was built up to keep the water in place? Then it's leveled off so you can walk or bike along it? I'm trying to remember what it's called in New Orleans - I've walked along it myself.
I am sorry, indeed, I did not mentioned what I referred to. I tried to describe an area along the seaside or riverside (generally, highstanding) where people can walk around having sightseeing, photos and rest near the seaside/riverside (excluding all sorts of having a rest on the beach). Actually, I heard American who spoke about such area as about "embankment" (though it is generally referred to as an engeneering construction along the shore). In Russian - I prefer name such area as esplanade - the word "esplanade" is used quite frequently. Interestingly, I did not met any English speaker who would tell me without a doubt how to refer to such areas.

Last edited:
it was associated with a shoreline.
Do you mean that "shoreline" would be the best word to describe the object we are speaking about? And if we are talking about specific architectural constructions along the seaside or riverside (made for walking) - "esplanade" would be the best word?

Esplandade is a fine word, but it's not very common in the US.

To tell you the truth, I myself did not know it was associated with a shoreline. That is why you probably encountered a pause.

Is "levee" the word you were thinking of?

Do you mean that "shoreline" would be the best word to describe the object we are speaking about? And if we are talking about specific architectural constructions along the seaside or riverside (made for walking) - "esplanade" would be the best word?

Both "embankment" and "levee" refer to raised areas built to prevent flooding. Some have a flat top and people walk on them. An "esplanade" refers to a recreational stretch of land usually near a body of water. New Yorkers would likely recognize the word, because we have several along the Hudson and East Rivers. However, it doesn't surprise me that most Americans are not familiar with the term. For your purpose, it might be better to use along the "shore", "water", "waterfront", or "shoreline".

New York esplanade: https://www.google.com/search?q=esp..._KsQSTrYGIBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1109&bih=848

An "esplanade" refers to a recreational stretch of land usually near a body of water.
Yeah, I am looking for this one! But the problem is that I haven't met yet any native speaker who would appreciate this word as a commonly used one. So, you propose "waterfront" and "shoreline" for the purpose of better communication, I see. Thank you!

So, you propose "waterfront" and "shoreline" for the purpose of better communication, I see. Thank you!
These words suffer from the same problems as 'esplanade' and some of the others. The simple facts are that there is no single word used and understood by all native speakers of English, or even of one variety of English, for what you are talking about, and that several of the words mean different things to different people.

These words suffer from the same problems as 'esplanade' and some of the others. The simple facts are that there is no single word used and understood by all native speakers of English, or even of one variety of English, for what you are talking about, and that several of the words mean different things to different people.
That's pretty strange and weird. In Russia we have one word for that phenomenon - "naberezhnaya" (like "a paved area on the shore" or "street along the shore"). And even if one lives miles away from lakes, rivers or sea, he/she still knows this word (he will certainly understand this word and will not suggest any other for naming that object).

I see that if I am speaking about such area situated in English-speaking countries, I have to find out its local, "conventional" title. Nevertheless, what shall I do then if I want to speak about what I am talking about in other cases? :?::-(

That's pretty strange and weird.
It's not weird at all. There are many varieties and major dialects of English. There is no universal English grammar, and no universal English lexicon
In Russia we have one word for that phenomenon - "naberezhnaya" (like "a paved area on the shore" or "street along the shore"). And even if one lives miles away from lakes, rivers or sea, he/she still knows this word (he will certainly understand this word and will not suggest any other for naming that object).
I know little about Russian, but it would be almost unique among languages spoken by millions of people if it did not have different words for certain things in its dialects. I would be surprised if every Russian living miles from water knew exactly what a "naberezhnaya" was.
I see that if I am speaking about such area situated in English-speaking countries, I have to find out its local, "conventional" title. Nevertheless, what shall I do then if I want to speak about what I am talking about in other cases?
There is nothing you can do. When we native speakers speak and write, we use the words that we know. If a speakers of other varieties/dialects of English don't know a word we use, they will try to find out the meaning in some way.

That's pretty strange and weird. In Russia we have one word for that phenomenon - "naberezhnaya" (like "a paved area on the shore" or "street along the shore"). And even if one lives miles away from lakes, rivers or sea, he/she still knows this word (he will certainly understand this word and will not suggest any other for naming that object).

English was formed by different languages merging, leaving it with marked dialects, and then some of it emigrated to very different countries where it adapted to local conditions, which means that words for describing features of the natural and built environment may vary from region to region and variant to variant.

I would be surprised if every Russian living miles from water knew exactly what a "naberezhnaya" was.

I can not grant that. And I doubt that anyone could find it out accurately. But, honestly, I am ready to bet that everyone in Russia who has graduated from school knows this word and its meaning. Unfortunately, now I suspect you of language relativism.

It's not weird at all. There are many varieties and major dialects of English. There is no universal English grammar, and no universal English lexicon. I know little about Russian, but it would be almost unique among languages spoken by millions of people if it did not have different words for certain things in its dialects. I would be surprised if every Russian living miles from water knew exactly what a "naberezhnaya" was.

I am not a language expert. But I think that English got acquainted with such object long long before these varieties of dialects appeared. Thus, this phenomenon must have been reflected in English language (uniformly).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, now I suspect you of language relativism.
I don't know what I wrote that gave you that impression.
I am not a language expert. But I think that English got acquainted with such object long long before this varieties of dialects appeared.
Actually, the early dialects came before there was really one language. According to the OED, the fist use of the word in this sense was in 1681, quite late in the development of the language.
Thus, this phenomenon must have been reflected in English language.
I doubt if people in England in the first half of the last millennium spent much time constructing places to stroll along the shore. As they didn't have the thing, it's no surprise that they didn't have a word for it.

English was formed by different languages merging, leaving it with marked dialects, and then some of it emigrated to very different countries where it adapted to local conditions, which means that words for describing features of the natural and built environment may vary from region to region and variant to variant.
I would understand that if we were speaking about differences between "embankment" and "dam".

Dams and embankment are different things and, not surprisingly have different names.

Sometimes the same thing has different names - AmE sidewalk is BrE pavement, for example. This is also not surprising given the way English has developed.

Usually "naberezhnaya" would be translated as "embankment" and, as far as I know, is a word known to most Russians, whether they are living near any kind of river, sea or lake or not.
(I actually live on one of those in Moscow, Naberezhnaya Tarasa Shevchenko)
"shoreline" is used when you walk along the waters' edge near the sea.
"along the banks of the river" describes a more natural border between water and land.

Usually "naberezhnaya" would be translated as "embankment"
We have already established that it would not usually be translated as 'embankment'..
"shoreline" is used when you walk along the waters' edge near the sea.
You can walk along the shoreline in places, but 'shoreline' is basically just the edge of a body of water. It is not automatically associated with walking.

In BrE, you can't even rely on something being called the same thing in the same area of the country. This is Brighton promenade. This is Hove esplanade. They are actually the same stretch of paved area alongside the beach in two towns (Brighton and Hove) which are actually now one combined city ("Brighton and Hove").

Dams and embankment are different things and, not surprisingly have different names.

I meant they have pretty similar functions. In case of "emankments", "quays" and "esplanades" functions differ greatly.

In BrE, you can't even rely on something being called the same thing in the same area of the country. This is Brighton promenade. This is Hove esplanade. They are actually the same stretch of paved area alongside the beach in two towns (Brighton and Hove) which are actually now one combined city ("Brighton and Hove").

These two words have quite the same meaning: you can find wiki-page that states that they are interchangeable. After some consideration now I would prefer to use "esplanade" or "promenade" for the phenomenon mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back