Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users!

The whole text goes something like that:

The repair could not be brought to a close because of the following factors:
- difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts on time.

By using "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts", I mean "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" or "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts".

Do you find "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts" acceptable?

I have used present perfect tense because the situation still applies to present.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello all users!

The whole text goes something like that:

The repair could not be brought to a close because of the following factors:
- difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts on time.

By using "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts", I mean "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" or "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts".

Do you find "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts" acceptable?

I have used present perfect tense because the situation still applies to present.

Thank you.

What do you think the difference is between "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" and "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts"?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In my opinion, there is no difference between "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" and "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts" but I may be wrong. What I would like to know is whether "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts on time" is properly constructed and used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, there is no difference between "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" and "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts" but I may be wrong. What I would like to know is whether "difficulties he has had (in) delivering spare parts on time" is properly constructed and used.

Yes, it is properly constructed.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is there any diffference between "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" and "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts"? I am asking as a non-native speaker of English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there any diffference between "he has found it difficult to deliver spare parts" and "it has been difficult for him to deliver spare parts"? I am asking as a non-native speaker of English.

The only possible difference is that the first could mean "He has found it difficult to arrange delivery of spare parts" (ie he has not been able to find someone else who can deliver the spare parts.) However, my immediate reaction is that there is no difference at all between them.

Note that there is no need to emphasise that you are not a native speaker. That is clear from your member profile.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note that there is no need to emphasise that you are not a native speaker. That is clear from your member profile.
Note to other members. We ask you to state that you are not a teacher (if you aren't) when you respond to a question. This is because people naturally assume that, in a forum called 'Ask a Teacher', the people responding are all teachers. We know, from happy experience, that some non-teachers give very sound answers, but we don't want to give members a wrong impression.

Those of us who respond do often check the profile of people who ask questions. A knowledge of what your native language is may enable us to give a more helpful response. This is why we chase up people who clearly do not tell the truth about their native language. However, we don't ask you to state this with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.