Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
1. Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which is near Orchard Road.
2. Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which was near Orchard Road.

I was wondering if the above sentences both correct. If they are both correct, which sentence is better?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They are both correct.

A better sentence would be '... I went to a shopping centre near Orchard Road'.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
They are both correct.

A better sentence would be '... I went to a shopping centre near Orchard Road'.

Thanks Rover

I was wondering if it is better to leave out 'which is/was' in the following sentence.

Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a pub which is/was near a shopping centre in Orchard Road.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Rover

I was wondering if it is better to leave out 'which is/was' in the following sentence.

Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a pub which is/was near a shopping centre in Orchard Road.

Just as Rover suggested in his last post, omission is fine.

I went to a pub near a shopping centre in Orchard Road.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Just as Rover suggested in his last post, omission is fine.

I went to a pub near a shopping centre in Orchard Road.

Thanks ems

I went to a pub near a shopping centre in Orchard Road. (Is 'near' a preposition in this sentence?)

I went to a pub which is/was near a shopping centre in Orchard Road. (Is 'near' an adjective in this sentence?)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's a preposition in both sentences.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which is near Orchard Road.
2. Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which was near Orchard Road.

I was wondering if the above sentences both correct. If they are both correct, which sentence is better?

Thanks.

I agree with what the others have said, but if you wish to continue with the original form, use "is". The shopping center, presumptively, has not moved.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I agree with what the others have said, but if you wish to continue with the original form, use "is". The shopping center, presumptively, has not moved.

Thanks Mike

We can use 'is' and 'was' in the above context. Why can we use 'was' in the above context as The shopping centre, presumptively, has not moved?

'Move' is a transitive and intranstive verb. Is 'move' a transitive and intranstive verb in the above context? Grammar books teach us that intranstive verbs cannot be used in passive voices? I was wondering if we can we use a passive voice in the above context i.e. ' The shopping center, presumptively, has not been moved'.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Mike

We can use 'is' and 'was' in the above context. Why can we use 'was' in the above context as The shopping centre, presumptively, has not moved?

'Move' is a transitive and intranstive verb. Is 'move' a transitive and intranstive verb in the above context? Grammar books teach us that intranstive verbs cannot be used in passive voices? I was wondering if we can we use a passive voice in the above context i.e. ' The shopping center, presumptively, has not been moved'.

"Move" can be used transitively, so it can be used in the passive voice.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which is/was near Orchard Road.

We can use 'is' in the above sentence because the shopping centre, presumptively, has not moved. I was wondering why it is also correct to use 'was' in the above sentence.

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Last Christmas I was in Singapore. I went to a shopping centre which is/was near Orchard Road.

We can use 'is' in the above sentence because the shopping centre, presumptively, has not moved. I was wondering why it is also correct to use 'was' in the above sentence.

Thanks.

You could use "was" because the shopping center was there at the time the sentence was spoken.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If I wrote a letter to my friend as follows:

....Last week I went to China. First I went to Bejing. Second I went to Shanghai. Shanghai was a fantastic city. It is the largest city in China....

I was wondering if it is possible to say 'It was the largest city in China' in the above context.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

....Last week I went to China. First I went to Beijing, [strike]Second[/strike] then I went to Shanghai. Shanghai was a fantastic city. It is the largest city in China....

I was wondering if it is possible to say 'It was the largest city in China' in the above context.

Thanks.

I don't think you can. It sounds as if it should be followed by a clarification explaining that another city is now the largest city in China. In addition, I would say "Shanghai is a fantastic city".

Note my amendments to your post. Although it's fine to say "First, I went to ...", we don't tend to then follow it with "Second, I went to ..." etc.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

....Last week I went to China. First I went to Bejing. Second I went to Shanghai. Shanghai was a fantastic city. It is the largest city in China....

Thanks.

Again, in my opinion, it is important to choose tenses based on reality. Shanghai is a fantastic city, not was. It is the largest city in China, not was.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks ems and Mike

Which of the following sentences is correct in respect of the above context?

1. Shanghai was fantastic.
2. Shanghai is fantastic.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks ems and Mike

Which of the following sentences is correct in respect of the above context?

1. Shanghai was fantastic.
2. Shanghai is fantastic.

Unless something has changed in Shanghai, use "is".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There's nothing incorrect about 'was'. It suggests that you are giving your impression of the city when you saw it. However, in your context, where you have to use 'is' in the following sentence, the move from 'was' to 'is' in two sentences about the same city jars. I'd use 'is'.

Status
Not open for further replies.