Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Are the two terms above referring to the same concepts?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is the definition I've come up in google:

'Digital Citizenship is a concept which helps teachers, technology leaders and parents to understand what students/children/technology users should know to use technology appropriately. Digital Citizenship is more than just a teaching tool; it is a way to prepare students/technology users for a society full of technology...'

I thought it's a common concept. So please tell me if, regarding the definition, they could be interchangably used or not. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And where did you see "Electronic Citizenship" and what definition did you find? I, too, have heard of neither term.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
These are the courses offered in many universities and institutes (private and state ones both) in Iran, and as far as I know in some other countries. The principle being all citizens need to know about the most effective and efficient ways of making use of technology in their daily lives and at work.
There's this equivalent in Persian as 'Shahrvand-e-electronic', the second word obviously being the same English word. E-citizen, is also a common word I come across in various resources. And I was wondering if 'digital', as I saw in some texts, would be an option too.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bearing in mind that I have never heard either term, I would say that "Digital" is a better choice of word if it's to do with computers etc. "Electronic" can refer to many things, computer-oriented and otherwise.

However, simply translating the names of courses which exist in Iran into English doesn't mean that the terms are natural, used or appropriate. If there are no such courses in English-speaking countries, we won't have names for them.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot for the information. I think 'digital' could be used for the courses I have in mind then. I believe the term's been around for quite a while though. This, for example, shows it's at least used in the United States too:

Digital Citizenship

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've heard digital citizenship, but am not familiar with the electronic version. Netizen also exists, sometimes used for people who spend a lot of time or are very active on the internet and also for people who engage with society, politics, etc, online, a meaning also used for digital citizenship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.