English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D

Is it correct to say "Hawaii/Australia/New Zealand/Okinawa has the beautiful sea."?

(I don't think "There is the beautiful sea around Hawaii/Australia..." would work.
"Hawaii/Australia... is surrounded by the beautiful sea." might be the best, I guess.)

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello.:-D

Is it correct to say "Hawaii/Australia/New Zealand/Okinawa has the beautiful sea."?

(I don't think "There is the beautiful sea around Hawaii/Australia..." would work.
"Hawaii/Australia... is surrounded by the beautiful sea." might be the best, I guess.)

Thank you.
No, you first sentence is not correct. What would it mean for a country to have "the beautiful sea"? Do you mean "the most beautiful sea"?
No, your second sentence is not right either. It would be right with 'a' (grammatically).
No, your third sentence is not right. It would be better with 'a'. But what surrounds Australia are several seas, and in fact several oceans - Pacific, Southern, and Indian. I'm not sure about Hawaii. Sicily is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea.

The usage of 'ocean' and 'sea' in not straightforward. There are only (about) seven named oceans, whereas there are hundreds of named seas. Sometimes, " the sea" and "the ocean" mean the same thing. But "a sea" is not "an ocean". To say that an island is surrounded by sea/ocean (zero article) is OK. If it is surrounded by a sea/an ocean/ the sea/the ocean, then that's what defines it as an island - so this sentence is necessarily true (for most usages of 'island'). But then, Australia is surrounded by the ocean/sea, and it's not called an island because it's designated as a continent. Therefore, Greenland is the largest island, while Australia is the smallest continent.
[Not a geographer]

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you, Raymott.
:-D
You mean they would all sound better with the indefinite article. Right?

Well, basically, the idea I'd like to convey is that "we can enjoy the beautiful view of the sea (-it's just 'the sea', not a 'specific sea' like the Mediterranean Sea, but it's beautiful) from the seashore/beach/ship/boat etc..."

How would it sound if I wrote:

"Australia has (several) beautiful seas/oceans."
"Australia has a beautiful sea/ocean."

Would they sound OK/naural?

Thank you.:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We rarely refer to a whole country/continent "having" a beautiful sea.

Australia is surrounded by beautiful ocean.
Beautiful seas lap the beaches of Hawaii.

Even if you talk about individual towns or resorts, we usually refer to the beach or to the actual quality of the water in the sea/ocean.

Kalives, Crete has a beautiful sandy beach, lapped by crystal clear waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.