Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I have some message for potential buyers, how should I address them?

I thought of some words, not sure if they are right:
Hello Potential Customers,
Hello Future New Owner,
Hello Future Owner,
Hello Potential Buyers,

Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In writing or when speaking? I would find these all strange if someone said them. If I received a mailshot with Dear potential owner or something, it would be less odd.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have some message for potential buyers, how should I address them?

I thought of some words, not sure if they are right:
Hello Potential Customers,
Hello Future New Owner,
Hello Future Owner,
Hello Potential Buyers,

Any better suggestions?

Thanks

I would buy nothing if someone addressed to me this way. :-D
Moreover, I'd run away as quickly as possible from there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there some reason why you don't just want to use "Hello" or "Hi"?

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When I was in the UK shop assistants usually said: "Hello. Can / May I help you?".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was in the UK shop assistants usually said: "Hello. Can/May I help you?" (no full stop here)

That sounds entirely reasonable. I don't think the OP meant "shop customers" when he/she said "potential buyers".

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I understand I can use Hello/Hi.

I am using in email/web page.

I was just thinking if there is a better opening than Hello/Hi to address potential buyers, so I asked the question.

For example I heard before "Dear Shoppers, our shop is having a promotion at ...."

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand I can use Hello/Hi.

I am using in email/web page.

I was just thinking if there is a better opening than Hello/Hi to address potential buyers, so I asked the question.

For example I heard before "Dear Shoppers, our shop is having a promotion at ...."

I find phrases like "Dear Shoppers" quite off-putting. They are trying to personal but at the same time they have to be impersonal. They start with "Dear" which, for me, should only start formal letters to your bank manager ("Dear Sir") or letters to your friends and family ("Dear + name"). I don't want to be clumped together with the other thousands of people who might use the website.

If you are sending out a promotional email or building a promotional webpage and there is currently a sale on at your online shop, then I would just say something like "Great News! We are running a fantastic promotion at [name of website]. You can save 30% on every purchase made between midnight tonight and 6pm on Friday!"

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I find phrases like "Dear Shoppers" quite off-putting. They are trying to personal but at the same time they have to be impersonal. They start with "Dear" which, for me, should only start formal letters to your bank manager ("Dear Sir") or letters to your friends and family ("Dear + name"). I don't want to be clumped together with the other thousands of people who might use the website.

If you are sending out a promotional email or building a promotional webpage and there is currently a sale on at your online shop, then I would just say something like "Great News! We are running a fantastic promotion at [name of website]. You can save 30% on every purchase made between midnight tonight and 6pm on Friday!"

Does it mean that you start the email with no addressing (Dear.../ Hello...) . Just start with a sentence "Great News! We are running a fantastic promotion at [name of website]. You can save 30% on every purchase made between midnight tonight and 6pm on Friday!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it mean that you start the email with no addressing (Dear.../ Hello...) . Just start with a sentence "Great News! We are running a fantastic promotion at [name of website]. You can save 30% on every purchase made between midnight tonight and 6pm on Friday!"

Yes, I mean do not start with the word "Dear" at all. It is not necessary when you don't know the identity of the (potentially thousands of) people you are emailing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I appreciate it when foreign airlines give in-flight announcements in English, but it does grate when they begin "Dear passengers ...".

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I appreciate it when foreign airlines give in-flight announcements in English, but it does grate when they begin "Dear passengers ...".

Is it uncommon/wrong usage when they make announcement with "Dear passengers ..." "Dear customers ..."

I do hear announcements like "Dear customers/shoppers, our shop/shopping centre will be closing in 15 minutes time. ...."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it uncommon/wrong usage when they make announcement with "Dear passengers ..." "Dear customers ..."

I do hear announcements like "Dear customers/shoppers, our shop/shopping centre will be closing in 15 minutes time. ...."

In the US, you will more likely hear "Attention" customers, shoppers, passengers. It is less personal than "dear".

Status
Not open for further replies.