[Grammar] Men and the animals alike are 'all' (or 'both') subject to the law of nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

simile

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Men and the animals alike are all subject to the law of nature.
or
Men and the animals alike are both subject to the law of nature.

Which sentence is correct? Or both are good?
Thanks a lot!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I think that it's tautological to use "both" and "alike" to refer to the same two groups.

I would probably change this to,
"Men and animals alike are subject to the laws of nature."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"All animals, including humans, are subject to the laws of nature."
I don't think science knows yet whether there is a grand Law that covers everything, so I prefer "laws".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note the two inappropriate ideas that Ray, rightly, corrected: 'men' - humans; humans = not animals.

I must have been half asleep not to spot those. :oops:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't believe it to be an error to distinguish between man and animals. This isn't a biology class.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't believe it to be an error to distinguish between man and animals. This isn't a biology class.
This forum isn't a biology class, but the sentence may belong in one. How to express this depends on how it's to be used. Yes, there might be a context in which a person who does not accept that humans are animals or have evolved from other animals would want to make a distinction. But in this case, the writer seems not to want to make that distinction, saying that they are alike in this sense.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think there are numerous contexts, if not most contexts, where the difference between men and animals is made.

Even those who accept evolution have to admit that there are differences between the two.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think there are numerous contexts, if not most contexts, where the difference between men and animals is made.

Even those who accept evolution have to admit that there are differences between the two.
There are differences between human and non-human animals. That's obvious. I find the phrase "the difference between men and animals" a bit like "the difference between women and humans". I don't have a problem with "the difference between man and other animals". But naturally, your beliefs about this sort of thing would influence the way you expressed it. When I gave my sentence, I didn't think that the author wanted to make the point that humans were not animals. But I agree that it's a semantically interesting question about how the word 'animal' is used.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that context is the most important thing.

If I read something that just talked about "animals" I would not, in most cases, assume that it also applied to humans.

My "default" understanding of "animals" is of a class of creatures that excludes humans. If I went to the theater, for example, and someone asked me if there were any "animals" in the show I would not say "yes" thinking of all of the human actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.