Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How would you put it when you see two people, in a rivalry for example, begin to talk boldly to discourage and dishearten the other person? This, also, commonly happens before a friendly match when the two people/groups try to use words to weaken the other one's confidence and show how powerful, intelligent, etc they are. (In my language the expression is used in sports, fights, as well as in old texts when two heros/warrriors would use chants or sentences to both show who they were, and perhaps put off the rival before they crushed them into pieces!!! :))) )

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The words "demoralize" and "intimidate" come to mind. Slang expressions used in sports for attempting to intimidate an opponent are "trash-talk" and "talk smack".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot! (Couldn't find the 'Thanks' button...)

Is there any such term in literature too?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The forum is having trouble today. I lost my "thank" and "like" functions also. What do you mean by "in literature"? I can assure you that "intimidate" and "demoralize" exist in literature.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot! (Couldn't find the 'Thanks' button...)

It has been removed temporarily while we're upgrading the forum software.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The banter and sarcastic/rude exchanges between opposing players and teams has various names, depending on the sport involved. For example, in cricket it's called "sledging". Online I found that in ice hockey it's "chirping" and in baseball it's "trash talk".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The forum is having trouble today. I lost my "thank" and "like" functions also. What do you mean by "in literature"? I can assure you that "intimidate" and "demoralize" exist in literature.

Thanks again! Actually I was just wondering if there was any exact equivalent with the same meaning for the specific contexts I had in mind. It seems, or perhaps it's just my false interpretation, 'demoralisation' can be used used in other contexts, through other sorts of behavious as well. However, you've given me some great words! Cheers! :)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The banter and sarcastic/rude exchanges between opposing players and teams has various names, depending on the sport involved. For example, in cricket it's called "sledging". Online I found that in ice hockey it's "chirping" and in baseball it's "trash talk".

It's also quite common, in Iran, before playing card games, chess, backgammon, etc. when people do their best to show they're way better than the other side, considering the techniques and strategies they have. :) Ta!

Status
Not open for further replies.