I really enjoy stories that are set in the distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharkhun

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I do not have any clue about this usage of "set stories". Would you please elaborate on this kind of "set" a bit for me?

- I really enjoy stories that are set in the distant future.

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello!

*I AM NOT A TEACHER OR NATIVE.*

For instance, there are many science-fiction stories, movies, novels, etc. in which some or all of the events take place in the future or distant future (e.g. 2001: A Space Odyssey).

In the same manner, there are some other stories/movies/etc. set in the past (historical stories or films, for instance). And there are some other kinds...

For example, you can take a look at the links below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_set_in_the_future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stories_set_in_a_future_now_past

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I do not have any clue about this usage of "set stories". Would you please elaborate on this kind of "set" a bit for me?

- I really enjoy stories that are set in the distant future.
The setting for the stories is the distant future. The writers provides a temporal and spatial setting in which to set his/her stories.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
in which some or all of the events take place in the future or distant future (e.g. 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I am not a teacher.

Actually, that one is set in the past. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am not a teacher.

That's an interesting twist to the usual is/was question. The film was set in the future; it hasn't changed, and now it's set in the past. But it was never set in the past - ever (using 'set' as a participle, not an adjective).

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not a teacher.

The novel and film are classified as "future-now-past" works. In such classifications the year the books/films/etc. are released is important. For example, George Orwell's "1984" was released in 1949. So, considering that date, it was and still is a story set in the future.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The novel and film are classified as "future-now-past" works. In such classifications the year the books/films/etc. are released is important. For example, George Orwell's "1984" was released in 1949. So, considering that date, it was and still is a story set in the future.
Perhaps it's best to say it was set in the then-future.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

I am not a teacher.

I am not an avid user of the smiley icon but you may have noticed that I put one at the end of my post. That was to indicate that I was joking.

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not a teacher.

I am not an avid user of the smiley icon but you may have noticed that I put one at the end of my post. That was to indicate that I was joking.

Oh, I'm sorry! Since discussing and disputing the factors based on which such stories and movies are classified seemed logical and reasonable to me, I considered your reply as a serious one. : )

Ali Hsn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Perhaps it's best to say it was set in the then-future.

Well, then it's better to say it depend on our aim and point of view in classifying such works. For instance, many imaginative ideas in old Sci-Fi novels now have come true and they are not fictional anymore. Now, can we exclude such novels from their prior genre, i.e. Sci-Fi?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, then it's better to say it depend on our aim and point of view in classifying such works. For instance, many imaginative ideas in old Sci-Fi novels now have come true and they are not fictional anymore. Now, can we exclude such novels from their prior genre, i.e. Sci-Fi?
Certainly not. They should still be classified under science fiction, if it's classification we are talking about. If absolutely everything in the novel has come true, it probably should be classified as prophecy!

Status
Not open for further replies.