Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US it is called a roller coaster. The people are in a car on the roller coaster. The names you mentioned are usually associated with snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I agree with Gilnetter that it looks a bit like a roller coaster and that a bobsleigh usually requires snow. However, there is no mention of a roller coaster among the attractions and because the description underneath seems to relate to the photo (you must be a certain height but can take a smaller child with you), I suspect this is the ride they call the "Bobsleigh". A kind of bobsleigh on rails, perhaps.
Also, we don't know for sure if the structure at the back is part of the same ride that the two people are on, although I think it probably is.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for the replies. Actually, they, now I know, call it 'Sledge Ride', which I'm not sure to be the right name. It's a 'single' seat ride where you can take a child too, and it's got 2 handbrakes you can use to slow down while cruising through the curves. This is just another one:

http://forum.lastsecond.ir/thread3370.html

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with both gilnetter and jmurray.

'Toboggan' 'Sledge' and 'Bobsleigh' are primitive devices that existed in the time of our grandparents or before. What is depicted here is an "amusement ride."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The amusement park where it is to be found might well have given it the name "Sledge Ride" but that is not a generic name for all rides of this type. The amusement park Alton Towers named one of its more exciting roller coaster rides "Nemesis". That doesn't mean we call all similar rides "Nemesis".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That ride is in Switzerland, so choosing a name with a snow theme is logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.