Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the EL test I was supposed to mark an incorrect or extra word in the sentences. One of them there was:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Anyway, my host family are happy for me to have the visitors so if you would like to come and stay for a little while…[/FONT]

I marked ´are´ but the correct answer should be ´the´. I do not understand: My host family are happy… Can somebody explain it to me? Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think it should be "is"?

I would probably use "is" here as well. The way collective nouns are treated as singular or plural differs according to dialect and whether one is thinking of them as one entity or of the individual members.

But people "have visitors." They don't "have the visitors." So that is clearly wrong.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

"My host family are happy for me to have visitors..." This means that visitors in general are allowed, while "the visitors" would be referring to specific visitors.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The way collective nouns are treated as singular or plural differs according to dialect and whether one is thinking of them as one entity or of the individual members.

My family are is very common in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.