Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hi. You do not usually put "the" before position names such as "President Serzh Sargsyan sent a congratulatory message to Narendra Modi on assuming office as Prime Minister of India" or "the president congratulated Vladimir Putin on being elected as President of Russia." Likewise, you say "Head of Finance Department" but "the Minister of Foreign Affairs." Is there any rule here?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't use the when we include the name of holder of the office: President Putin (title + name).

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I know what you are talking about my friend,:) but unfortunately, your answer is not close to the point.;-)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I know what you are talking about my friend,:) but unfortunately, your answer is not close to the point.;-)

Hello, Mher.:-D

I find Tdol's comment brief and to the point.

:-D

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Had better? I don't think so.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You had better help me with my question.:)

I'm going to assume that it's limited English that led to your writing this.

This is a threat. It suggests that failure to help will result in a negative consequence.

None of us like to be ordered to answer people's questions, which is why questions with things like "Your help is expected!" often go unanswered. We like being threatened even less.

I was unable to understand your use of ( ) and ___ in your original question.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I'm going to assume that it's limited English that led to your writing this.

This is a threat. It suggests that failure to help will result in a negative consequence.

None of us like to be ordered to answer people's questions, which is why questions with things like "Your help is expected!" often go unanswered. We like being threatened even less.

I was unable to understand your use of ( ) and ___ in your original question.
Your assumption about my last sentence is right; I misused that expression. I am not a terrorist and of course, I did not mean to threaten anybody (in fact I could not even if I wanted to). So take it easy people.
I have already edited my original question and I hope you will finally understand what I am talking about.:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're talking about the office, not the person, you can omit the article. Being President of the United States must be stressful.

If you're talking about the person, but not using the person's name, use the article. The Minister of Finance will be present. The mayor of the city gave us the key to the city.

If you're using the office as a title, omit the article. Governor Jim Smith.

These are VERY general rules, but they can get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Nice work. Thank you.
Thus, can I say "President Vladimir Putin received President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan' or "First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama held a meeting with Head of the Elton John Foundation blablabla" or "Chairman of the Hayastan Fund Billy Bobson" and so on?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nice work. Thank you.
Thus, can I say "President Vladimir Putin received President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan' or "First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama held a meeting with the Head of the Elton John Foundation blablabla" or "Chairman of the Hayastan Fund Billy Bobson" and so on?

With the head of the foundation, it's a specific person, but without a name, so use the article. (The second of my general rules.)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Thus, can I say "President Vladimir Putin received President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan"?

I am not a teacher.

Outside of journalism it should be, the President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan, or President Serzh Sargsyan (of Armenia), but not President of Armenia without the article.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
President Serzh Sargsyan (of Armenia)

This seems the best choice of them.
I don't know that I like "the President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan" at all - unless you put commas around Sargsyan's name.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I am somewhat confused about all these rules. So, let me classify them in order to see if I understood you clearly.
1. I knew about your third general rule before: "President Barack Obama, Doctor Johnson, Archbishop Smith, Deputy Minister Harrison etc.."
2. Likewise, your first rule is also clear to me: "Francois Hollande was elected as President of France and Matteo Renzi assumed the office as Prime Minister of Italy."
3. Finally, I see that your second rule does not always work; it has exceptions (as it is with all rules and regulations). We can say: "the Minister of Finance visited blablabla" but "Minister of Finance John Lenon attended blablabla." Nevertheless, in case of "the President of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan" we should put "the." Can I assume that the last sentence is an exception to the second rule?
One more question. Can I say "US President Obama" or "RA (Republic of Armenia) President Sargsyan"? That is, can I put abbreviations before names?

Status
Not open for further replies.