[General] These sentences are a bit confusing to me. Can someone explain. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabelean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Taken from http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=95

Approximately 10-20% of subjects are able to maintain a weight loss of at least 5% after 5 years. The results of other research also look grim; five years after completing structured weight loss programs, people only maintain a 3% weight loss.

Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs??

Very confusing for me. Can someone explain? Same issue with the below sentences

You can see that over 35% of people were successful at maintaining a weight loss of at least 5% for more than a year. On average, this was a 29 pound weight loss. The numbers drop off from there, with only 17% maintaining a 10% weight loss. However, of the people in that 17%, the average weight weight loss maintained was 42 pounds.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
<<<Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs?>>>

No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not. You are confusing "fat" loss with "weight loss". They are not always the same. If a guy lost 100 pounds, he would probably have been in excess of 250 pounds. The hundred pound weight loss would then have been at least 40%. If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 87.5 pounds, leaving him at 237.5 pounds, which is 5% less than 250 pounds. If he started out at 300 pounds, the 100 pound weight loss would have been 33.3%.
If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 85 pounds, leaving him at 285 pounds, which is 5% less than 300 pounds.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I need a maths forum!

wannabelean

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
<<<Let us consider a sample set of 100 subjects. The above means that only 10-20 of them are able to maintain their weight loss after 5 years. If yes, what does maintain a fat loss of 5% mean? So assume a guy loses 100 lbs so maintain a fat loss of 5% means he will gain back 95lbs?>>>

No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not. You are confusing "fat" loss with "weight loss". They are not always the same. If a guy lost 100 pounds, he would probably have been in excess of 250 pounds. The hundred pound weight loss would then have been at least 40%. If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 87.5 pounds, leaving him at 237.5 pounds, which is 5% less than 250 pounds. If he started out at 300 pounds, the 100 pound weight loss would have been 33.3%.
If he regained weight to 5% loss, he would then have regained 85 pounds, leaving him at 285 pounds, which is 5% less than 300 pounds.

Thanks for the example and application. That study is a complete eye opener to me. So the chances of maintaining a 20% weight loss after 5 years is less than 5%. Its almost like impossible to maintain the weight lost I guess in the long term!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has been proven over and over that diets don't work long term. Long term weight loss requires a lifestyle change, food and exercise.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
No you need to look at the graph. It shows that around 65% of people maintained a weight loss of 5% or greater. The leaves 35% who did not.

I am not a teacher.

No it doesn't. It shows (and says explicitly in the article) "that over 35% of people were successful at maintaining a weight loss of at least 5% for more than a year."

Status
Not open for further replies.