Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
...a successful method of bringing up children rejected by their natural parents

Is the 'method' rejected or are the 'children' rejected? The Chinese version of COLLINS COBUILD ENGLISH USAGE says the 'method' is rejected. But I would think the 'children' are. Am I right?

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here it is definitely the children who are rejected.

Context is necessary to make clear how exactly the parents have rejected their children.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Context is necessary to make clear how exactly the parents have rejected their children.
It certainly is. But wouldn't you think Chinese lexicographers had some notion of context? I'm starting to worry about this Chinese Collins Cobuild.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Although I am Chinese, I sometimes ignore the Chinese translations of English examples in dictionaries.

Not a teacher.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This Chinese version of the COLLINS COBUILD USAGE is the worst translated of all English-Chinese dictionaries I've ever used. Now I'm just using it as a means of studying English by finding the mistakes in their translation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whilst that might be a fun way to spend your time (finding the errors in their translations), I'm not sure it's very helpful on this board. Most members are aware that some dictionaries are more fallible than others and you have already established that that particular dictionary is pretty rubbish. You might want to simply post the absolute worst errors from the dictionary in the "General Language Discussions" section. I don't think that all the examples you're posting are necessarily helping you or any other learners in the Ask a Teacher section.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This Chinese version of the COLLINS COBUILD USAGE is the worst translated of all English-Chinese dictionaries I've ever used. Now I'm just using it as a means of studying English by finding the mistakes in their translation.

I don't know how common these errors are, but you're certainly good at spotting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.