Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've heard "brung" is a past and past participle form of bring, but it's a dialectal one.
What do you say "brought" or "brung"? Where can I come across with "brung"?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I say "brought". I had a schoolfriend who said "brung" and "brang". In her case, there was no dialectal reason for it as far as being from a specific region is concerned. Her parents were both from the south of England and neither "brung" nor "brang" is normal here. However, I can only assume that one of them had been taught the form and had passed it on to their daughter.

I don't know which specific dialects use it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a fairly common mistake among children, at least some teaching books say it is, as they apply an irregular form like ring/rang/rung to bring.

I think I have heard it used in London.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My father (a strict grammarian) had a field day whenever that schoolfriend came to visit my house. He would pick on every error, and there were a lot of them! She was one of those children who couldn't/wouldn't pronounce "th" at the end of a word properly so she said "wiv" (with) and "boaf" (both). As I said, she used "brung/brang". She had very long hair which was frequently in two plaits, tied at the bottom with bright red ribbons. Unfortunately, she insisted on pronouncing it "ribbin".

On hearing each error, my father would say something like "Brung? Brung?! Where was you drug up?"

In case of confusion, his words were purposely ungrammatical to emphasise the fact that the listener/my friend had not used English correctly. The correct version would of course be "Where were you dragged/brought up?" The use of "to drag up" is a sort of pun on "to bring up". His suggestion was that the person could not have been brought up properly, resulting in their inability to speak English properly, therefore they must have been ​dragged up.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Precisely. My father used to say (as a joke) about people like that, that they were not 'brung up proper like'.

Status
Not open for further replies.