[Grammar] "which or that " :-I have found the pen which/that I had lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Regarding the sentence :-I have found the pen .............. I had lsot
what will be the right answer?
1:-which
2:-that
3:-both can be right (if so please explain)

Is this a homework question?

No Sir,
I have found it in a book written as :-This is the pen which I had lost but according to my knowledge, here that will make more sense so I used it in a format so as the appeal of the question is increased.

I am just trying to improve my Grammar and I am not in a school so there will not be any chance that I need help for homework :)

Fair enough. Your sentence structure involves a relative clause. In nonrestrictive (non-defining) relative clauses, we do not not use 'that", we can use "which". In restrictive (defining) relative clauses, we can use either. Your clause is defining (it defines a particular pen). Therefore, either pronoun will work.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Sahil Dhankhar:

I believe that most American teachers suggest "that" for a defining clause (when the information is absolutely necessary for identification).

I have read that in some varieties of English, "which" is also perfectly fine for defining clauses.

And, as one moderator reminded me recently, in such a sentence as yours, the so-called zero relative pronoun is possible and even probable in speech:

"I have found the pen I had lost yesterday."

As you said, "both can be right."

BUT if you are being tested by an American teacher, I suggest that you use "that."

James

P.S. In my opinion, maybe many native speakers would find the past tense more natural than the past perfect in that sentence: "I have found the pen (that) I lost yesterday."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back