Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Q.Does the customer have obligation to pick up the falling product and put it back on the store shelf if the product falling is caused by the customer?

A
1. I would argue that duty falls on the employees of the store.

A2. I would argue that a customer has no business placing product or anything else on the store shelf

Is the Answer 1 the same as the Answer2, the duty to pick up the falling product is on the customer side? What is the difference between having would and without world in the sentence? Does the sentence with would mean uncertainty? Can you explain it? Thank you.

Last edited:
the duty to pick up the falling product is on the customer side?
I think the answers mean it is the duty of employees rather than customers.

Not a teacher.

Q.Whether does the customer have obligation to pick up thefalling product and put it back on the store shelf if the product falling is caused by the customer?

A
1. I would argue that duty falls on the employees of thestore.

A2. I would argue that a customer has no business placingproduct or anything else on the store shelf

Is the Answer 1 the same as the Answer2, the duty to pick up the falling product is on the customer side? What is the difference between having would and no world in the sentence? Does the sentence with would mean uncertainty? Can you explain it? Thank you.

The whole thing is very badly worded. The "Q" isn't a question. "Whether does" is grammatically incorrect. There are spaces missing between some of the words. Here is how I would word it:

Q. If a customer knocks something off a shelf in a store, is it the customer's responsibility to put it back on the shelf?

A1. I would argue that/In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the store/store's employees [to put it back on the shelf].
A2. I would argue that/In my opinion, customers have no business putting products or anything else on the shelves.

The whole thing is very badly worded. The "Q" isn't a question. "Whether does" is grammatically incorrect. There are spaces missing between some of the words. Here is how I would word it:

Q. If a customer knocks something off a shelf in a store, is it the customer's responsibility to put it back on the shelf?

A1. I would argue that/In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the store/store's employees [to put it back on the shelf].
A2. I would argue that/In my opinion, customers have no business putting products or anything else on the shelves.

Thanks for your reply. Can you explain why you want to use would in the sentence? What is the difference if there is no would in the sentence? Does I would argue mean I think or I believe?

Does I would argue mean I think or I believe?
Yes, pretty much. "If an argument or debate developed about this, I would argue this."
This is very common in English; I'd say you'll have to get used to it. You can supply your own conditional, It's usually something trivial like, "If you want my opinion; If you don't mind hearing what I think; If I was in a position where I had to judge ..."

People may not know when and why would should be used, especially there is no if clause. I studied this word and found a definition in one of the dictionaries. It is "used for talking about the result of an event that you imagine." Please note "imagine." If you imagine something would happen or be true, you can use "would." In other words, if you do not need to imagine but are pretty sure something, you would not use "would."

Last edited:
I think the word you were looking for was "imagine", not "image". "Image" makes no sense.

Yes, it should be "imagine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back