Some people say that they don't understand homosexuality: You either like girls or g

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Some people say that they don't understand homosexuality:

You either like girls or guys.

VS

It's either girls or guys.

Are both okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The second is OK.
The first should be "You like either girls or guys".

Saying "You either like ..." suggests that there will be another option like "... or you dislike/hate ...".

(Please note that I am making no comment at all on the actual statements, purely on the grammatical content.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm. "You like either" and "you either like" mean the same thing to me. Maybe it's because I speak U.S. American.

Regardless, the statements are confusing. Are you saying "You, a heterosexual, either like boys or girls" or "You, a homosexual, either like boys or girls?"

Or are you trying to say something else?

Also, in U.S. American, boys and girls are children. So unless you're speaking to children, "men or women" would usually be better.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"You, a heterosexual, either like boys or girls" or "You, a homosexual, either like boys or girls?"

Also, in U.S. American, boys and girls are children. So unless you're speaking to children, "men or women" would usually be better.

The OP didn't use "boys".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hm. "You like either" and "you either like" mean the same thing to me. Maybe it's because I speak U.S. American.

Regardless, the statements are confusing. Are you saying "You, a heterosexual, either like boys or girls" or "You, a homosexual, either like boys or girls?"

I would say that "You" is being used here to mean "One" or "People".

"One likes either guys or one likes girls."

However, I will concede that actually that statement only suggests that the speaker is someone who doesn't understand/approve of bisexuality. Generally, a heterosexual person likes people of only one sex (the opposite sex) and a homosexual person likes people of only one sex (the same sex), so the statement given wouldn't make sense if said to either one.
One would only be able to say the statement given to a bisexual person (if one was in the habit of sticking one's nose into someone else's sexuality) - the suggestion would be that the person should pick one sex and stick to it. It doesn't give any suggestion that they should specifically choose the opposite sex.

In BrE, we frequently refer to the two sexes as "guys and girls" (maybe guys and gals!) rather than "men and women". Many lesbians refer to themselves as "a girl who likes girls", regardless of their age.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say that "You" is being used here to mean "One" or "People".

"One likes either guys or one likes girls."

However, I will concede that actually that statement only suggests that the speaker is someone who doesn't understand/approve of bisexuality.

Of course. But aside from that, the statement "Some people say that they don't understand homosexuality: You either like girls or you like guys" still doesn't make much sense. Whether you're a girl or a guy, liking girls or guys doesn't speak to the issue of understanding homosexuality. The first half of the statement raises the issue of understanding homosexuality, but the second half doesn't speak to the issue. Most people like either girls or guys, regardless of whether they understand homosexuality.

So I'm suggesting that the statement doesn't say whatever it is the writer is trying to convey. If I were an editor, I'd ask for clarification. I just can't tell what Batman means.

In BrE, we frequently refer to the two sexes as "guys and girls" (maybe guys and gals!) rather than "men and women". Many lesbians refer to themselves as "a girl who likes girls", regardless of their age.

Americans do, too, all the time. It's very conversational, and that's not necessarilty bad.

I just want Batman to know that it's a little sloppy and sometimes offends. Many American women dislike being called girls because they feel it takes away their adulthood, especially at work. At the American university that I went to, it would have been treated as a writing mistake. Girls and guys is worse than girls and boys because there isn't even parity: girls are young, guys are any age.

Glad you chimed in, Ems. All good comments. I'm just trying to (a) get Batman to be more clear and (b) be aware of when he's using loaded language (at least from the point of view of an American stickler).

Thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use "guys and girls" in AmE also. Mature women often go out with the "girls" and mature men often go out with the "guys" (nonsexual).

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use "guys and girls" in AmE also. Mature women often go out with the "girls" and mature men often go out with the "guys" (nonsexual).

Yes, absolutely, as I whole-heartedly agreed above. It's used all the time. A night out with the girls, a night out with the boys.

What REALLY drives me crazy is waitstaff who call my wife and me guys:

- "I'll be taking care of you guys tonight." (Is this a restaurant or an infirmary?)

- "Can I get any drinks for you guys?" (The you should have done it. Skipping the guys would have saved her a syllable, and we would have gotten our drinks that much sooner.)

- "Did you guys save room for dessert?" (Are you guys waiters or travel organizers?)

- "I'll be right back with you guys's* check." (I swear to God.)

-------

* Related thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/211507-s-s

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

As opposed to which other well known variety of American?

Damned if I know. It's an issue of:

1. Parallelism. If the Brits can get away with British English, an excellent candidate for the Department of Redundancy Department, then nothing should stop us from saying U.S. American!

2. Hemispheric sensitivity. Uruguayans are Americans. So are Canadians, Tierra del Fuegans, and Belizeans. The U.S. hogs enough. Let's at least share our Americahood. The Monroe Doctrine must say something about this.

3. When I think of something else, I'll let you know.

4. What do smiley faces actually mean, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.