[Grammar] have done or have been doing or both are OK ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunrose8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
A:Why are you often late for class recently?
B:I am sorry,I haven't felt very well lately. OR I am sorry,I haven't been feeling very well lately.???

Which one is correct? For me,They are both correct on grammar.What's the different between them?

Please help me out.Thx

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They have the same meaning.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They are both correct, but I would be more likely to use been feeling.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks a lot. Sometimes English grammar is very subtle.

There is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you" or to quote our replies back to us. It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful.

sunrose8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
A:Why are you often late for class recently?
B:I am sorry,I haven't felt very well lately. OR I am sorry,I haven't been feeling very well lately.???

Which one is correct? For me,They are both correct on grammar.What's the different between them?

Please help me out.Thx

After referring for some Grammar books(Grammar in Use),It looks like I have got the answer to my question and I would like to share it.
When we talk about situations (general characteristics or circumstances) that exist until the present we can use either present perfect(have done) or present perfect continuous(have been doing). However, the subtle difference between them is:
Present perfect continuous emphasises the activity of an action while present perfect emphasizes the state of an action.
For example: We have been looking forward to this holiday for ages( or we have looked forward to...)present perfect continuous emphasizes a mental process;present perfect emphasize a mental state.

Status
Not open for further replies.