Would this sentence be correct in grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I know the idea in the sentence sounds pretty weird, but I was wondering if it can be used in writings.

Years of experiencing the hardships of life in the poor social conditions can lead to many parents’ encouraging their children to study abroad.

If the sentence is correct, then is there any way I can nominalise the underlined section, please?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentence is understandable. What do you think is wrong?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Years of experiencing the hardships of life in the poor social conditions can lead to many parents’ encouraging their children to study abroad.

If the sentence is correct, then is there any way I can nominalise the underlined section, please?

If you've named the place and detailed the nature of the conditons you can say 'life in the poor social conditions'. But if you're just saying in general that parents with a hard life encourage infantile international study (there's your nominalization, but why bother? :)), you should delete 'the'.

Otherwise, as Mike said, it's OK as-is.

b

Masood_S

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not a teacher.

Suggested minor corrections:

Years of experiencing the hardships of life in [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]poor social conditions can lead to many parents encouraging their children to study abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course, your sentence will not be by itself. It will have company. You will need to know how well it will fit in with the rest of your essay.

:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Masood_S, please state that you are not a teacher, in accordance with forum rules.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Mehrgan, a better title would have been encouraging their children to study abroad.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rover is quite right that a good title includes some or all of the words you are querying. However, it is worth noting that "grammatically correct" is a much better phrase than "correct in grammar".

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your sentence is understandable. What do you think is wrong?

I just had the feeling I was using it unnaturally. The problem is, would you give it an ok if you saw it in an IELTS essay?!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you've named the place and detailed the nature of the conditions you can say 'life in the poor social conditions'. But if you're just saying in general that parents with a hard life encourage infantile international study (there's your nominalization, but why bother? :)), you should delete 'the'.

Otherwise, as Mike said, it's OK as-is.

b

Thanks. Indeed, I meant 'such very bad conditions' are exactly the same conditions those children will be brought up in, so I thought I'd better use 'the' as it was referring to something I meant later in the same sentence. But, I've taken your point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.