So, here you’ll see what looks like fields and fields of cotton balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Texas is first in cotton production. So, here you’ll see what looks like fields and fields of cotton balls. All of this cotton will be picked by rows of huge picking machines. Each machine can probably do the work of 500 people. After it is picked, the cotton is hauled by truck, train, and boat to mills where it is made into cloth. Now you know where the cotton for your T-shirt came from!

I can’t understand this sentence ‘So, here you’ll see what looks like fields and fields of cotton balls.’ Would you please paraphrase it for me? Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For unknown reasons the author chose "what looks like." But it doesn't just look like, it is. So you should prefer "you’ll see fields and fields of cotton balls."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
diamondcutter, please name the source and author when you quote other people's text.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I can’t understand this sentence ‘So, here you’ll see what looks like fields and fields of cotton balls.’ Would you please paraphrase it for me? Thanks.

I am not a teacher.

It means lots of fields, endless fields, fields as far as the eye can see, etc...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For unknown reasons the author chose "what looks like." But it doesn't just look like, it is. So you should prefer "you’ll see fields and fields of cotton balls."

Well, sort of, but not exactly. The cotton balls you find in the pharmacy are not just plucked off of cotton bushes. Cotton balls are made out of cotton the way that chicken nuggets are made out of chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.