Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"He is playing with good friends"

This sentence does not have an object, it has a prepositional phrase (with good friends). Can it be converted into passive voice??

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum.

"He is playing with good friends". End every sentence with the appropriate punctuation mark.

This sentence does not have an object; it has a prepositional phrase (with good friends). Can it be converted into the passive voice?

[STRIKE]Thanks![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just click 'Thank' when you get a useful reply.

Students are often asked to do this purely as a theoretical exercise, so you would have to say 'Good friends are being played with by him'. However, no native speaker would ever use that construction.

shani16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have been taught that a sentence having no object can not be converted into the passive voice, then how is it possible to convert to to passive voice as:
'Good friends are being played with by him' ?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've just demonstrated that it is possible, but it's implausible, unnatural, ugly, non-colloqial, artificial and unrealistic.

Non-native English teachers often give their students such pointless exercises as this, expecting the construction I concocted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.