Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear friends,

Here is the sentence I'd like to ask you about:

"The progress achieved in the area of database technologies is particularly based on the relational model suggested by E. Codd at the turn of the 60-s and 70-s of the XX century.

I've hot two questions:

1) Is the expression "at the turn of" grammatically correct here (the intended meaning is that the relational model mentioned in the sentence was offered at the end of the 1960-s and the beginning of the 1970-s; at the turn of = boundary?)

2) Is it correct to write "1960-s" meaning "the nineteen sixties" and "1970-s" meaning "the nineteen seventies"?

Thanks a lot

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. No. We speak of "the turn of the century." We don't say each decade has a "turn."
2. "1960s" or "60s" is the normal way to express it. Some may use "1960's" with an apostrophe. A hyphen "60-s" is completely incorrect.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I said no. Decades don't have a turn.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Firstly, we don't use 'turn' for decades, but if we did it wouldn't be the turn of the 60s and the 70s, it would be the turn of the 70s.

Secondly, did E. Codd suggest his relational model continuously from the late 60s to the early 70s? If not, it doesn't make sense as it stands.

There was presumably a date on which the suggestion was made, so why not just say, 'The progress achieved in the area of database technologies is particularly based on the relational model suggested by E. Codd in the early 1970s'?

Status
Not open for further replies.