What is the meaning of "Fallout"? pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everybody, I have a confusing question!
What is the meaning of "Fallout"?
At 00:02:37 in the movie "The last castle", some guys use that while playing basketball.
Is that related to basketball?
I need its meaning. I'm really confused!
If anyone knows, pls tell me.
Thanks

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Fall out!" is used here in the military sense. It is an order to either leave the barracks and get into formation outdoors, or it means to leave military formation (that is, lined up and standing at attention) and quickly assume whatever duty you have been assigned.

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I said "Fallout" not "Fall out"! In addition, It is a nonsense in that scene. I say again that they were playing basketball.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I said "Fallout" not "Fall out"! In addition, It is a nonsense in that scene. I say again that they were playing basketball.

I'm aware that they were playing basketball. I've seen the film. My answer said that they were using "fall out!" in the military "sense"; that is, adopting a military phrase in a civilian setting. It is a directive for the players to get into formation, to attend to the task at hand (playing basketball).

Here is the transcript of the film's script. Please indicate the scene to which you are referring so that I may better assist you.

Asgarpour

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot for your help, Jill Dorchester.
I've got your meaning!
I said "Fallout" because it was written in my subtitle and then I found out that the correct is "Fall out"!

Status
Not open for further replies.