Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hi. I would appreciate if someone could check the wording in these sentences. Many thanks for any help.
I am available on both days, Tuesday 3rd*and Wednesday 4th*afternoons however Wednesday afternoon would suit me best due to travel arrangements that I need to make.

(OR does this sounds better)

I am available on both days, Tuesday 3rd*and Wednesday 4th*however Wednesday will suit me best. I have a preference for afternoon interview due to travel arrangements that I need to make.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I am available for the interview on Tuesday, 3rd and Wednesday, 4th. My preference is for the afternoon of Wednesday, 4th.

It is better to use shorter sentences.
What travel arrangements and for when? Anyway, I don't think it is necessary to tell your interviewer that.

not a teacher

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Hi. I would appreciate if someone could check the wording in these sentences. Many thanks for any help.
I am available on both days, Tuesday 3rd*and Wednesday 4th*afternoons however Wednesday afternoon would suit me best due to travel arrangements that I need to make."

Usage pertaining to dates differs across dialects of English, and also between speech and writing . Americans write Tuesday January 3, but usually say "January the third" or "January third." British users, on the other hand write "3 January", but sometimes (or perhaps usually) say "the third of January." In no case are asterisks appropriate.

As to idiom you should say "I have a preference for an ... ".

sky ble

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
"What travel arrangements and for when? Anyway, I don't think it is necessary to tell your interviewer that."

I need to travel to a different country for the interview. This is why I thought it might be good mentioning the travel arrangements in this case. Is it appropiate?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Ok, you should tell them that you have to make the travel arrangements to fly in from xxxx for the interview.

I am available for the interview on Tuesday, 3rd and Wednesday, 4th. My preference is for the afternoon of Wednesday, 4th. I would need to make the travel arrangements to fly from xxx for the interview, so I hope my request for the Wednesday, 4th, can be granted.

not a teacher

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't put commas between the day of the week and the date.

I am available for interview on Tuesday 3rd and Wednesday 4th. My preference would be for the afternoon of Wednesday 4th. Please let me know as soon as possible if my preference can be accommodated because I will need to make arrangements to fly in from XXXX.

Status
Not open for further replies.