Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Hi, I am searching an item from Amazon and saw some comment.

"Negative : the seller refuses to honor the deal. Trying to get me gift him $$. Beware."

I really don't understand the whole meaning. Could you help?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It appears that the seller originally offered some kind of deal (a discount or two for the price of one or similar) but is now refusing to give that offer/deal to the buyer. The aggrieved buyer is trying to get some kind of financial compensation from the seller (trying to get the seller to give him a "gift" of dollars).

I wouldn't buy anything from that seller if I were you.

katnoric32

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Thanks.

Then, shouldn't it be "trying to get me gift 'from' him"? I actually don't understand that part.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
No. Let's suppose I'm the one who tried to buy from the seller the first time. The seller did not want to honor the deal s/he had offered at first, so s/he was, in practice, trying to raise the price. Therefore, s/he was trying to get extra money from me, as if it were a gift (from me to him/her). Of course, I'm not buying at the new price, so I write the complaint you quoted. Is it any clearer now?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Trying to get me gift him $$."
This might mean "He is trying to get me to give him money", perhaps more context would help.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would read the original to mean that the seller is trying to get more money from the buyer.

LakePark

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Honor the deals means to follow the original agreement. In this situation, it means the seller did not want to give the buyer the sale price. In other words, the seller did not want to honor the deal for the buyer.

Source: http://jargonism.com/words/545

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. Let's suppose I'm the one who tried to buy from the seller the first time. The seller did not want to honor the deal s/he had offered at first, so s/he was, in practice, trying to raise the price. Therefore, s/he was trying to get extra money from me, as if it were a gift (from me to him/her). Of course, I'm not buying at the new price, so I write the complaint you quoted. Is it any clearer now?

What do you mean by "I'm the one who tried to buy from the seller the first time"? Did you buy something from them previously and now you are trying to buy the same thing again but it's at a higher price. If so, that is perfectly legal and no reason for a complaint.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What do you mean by "I'm the one who tried to buy from the seller the first time"?

I was playing ("Let's suppose") the part of the writer of the complaint (which would make me the first of the two to try and buy from the person who did not honor the deal). But maybe I got lost along the explanation and made it, unwillingly, more difficult. :oops:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that the seller was asking for a certain amount for an item but then decided that he/she was not asking for a high enough price. If somebody is selling an item for a certain price and somebody makes an offer of the asking price the seller is obliged to sell the item at that price, not decide it isn't high enough.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.