[Vocabulary] Is "flippant" an esoteric word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The word "flippant" denotes the lack of proper respect or seriousness. In the link followed are some latest instants that the word was used. http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/flippant
However, whenever I utilized that vocable, most natives I know didn't understand it. They even said they had never heard of the word before. I was really surprised, because "flippant" even appears in learners' dictionaries such as Oxford or Longman, and thus I had never thought of it as being so esoteric.
Therefore, I'd like to ask for your opinion. Do you know that word "flippant" and how many percent of the native speakers' population do you think will understand it?
Thank you so very much.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you know that word "flippant" and how many percent of the native speakers' population do you think will understand it?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

1. Yes, I know it. And I think it is a wonderful word.

2. I would like to think that college graduates know that word. If they do not, then I would have to worry about the future of the country.

3. I have a terrible feeling that the majority of the American people do not have this word in their active vocabulary. That is to say, they do not use it in their speech.
But they probably have it in their passive vocabulary. That is to say, when they hear it said in context, they can probably guess that it has a negative connotation.

4. When I read your thread title, I immediately thought of a world leader who was criticized by many people last year for being too flippant regarding a current problem in the world. ((I cannot be more specific, for this is strictly a language website.)

James

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people I know would understand it.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
2. I would like to think that college graduates know that word. If they do not, then I would have to worry about the future of the country.

3. I have a terrible feeling that the majority of the American people do not have this word in their active vocabulary. That is to say, they do not use it in their speech.
But they probably have it in their passive vocabulary. That is to say, when they hear it said in context, they can probably guess that it has a negative connotation.
NOT A TEACHER
I asked an English middle school teacher in America and an Australian undergraduate aspiring to become a journalist, and they didn't know that word.
En passant, as I studied it, flippant expression can occasionally be humorous, depending on the point of view. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English, it is a reasonably common and ordinary word.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In US English as well.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's common enough in Australian, but a teenager might not have heard of it yet.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Flippant' is a less esoteric word than 'esoteric'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I asked an English middle school teacher in America and an Australian undergraduate aspiring to become a journalist, and they didn't know that word.

I'm surprised by this.
En passant, as I studied it, flippant expression can occasionally be humorous, depending on the point of view. Am I wrong?

The person being flippant is often trying to be humorous, though the person they're being flippant to may well not see the joke.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've just asked a few random people. People who often don't seem to realize that "your" and "you're" are different words. They all knew "flippant." I too am surprised that an English teacher didn't know the word.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
Incidentally, "middle school English teacher" or "English middle school teacher", which one sounds better?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, "an English middle school teacher" is a teacher of an unspecified subject who is either of English ancestry or who teaches at a middle school in England. "A middle school English teacher" is someone who teaches English at a middle school (in an unspecified location).

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Adding to the moderator's excellent answer:

"Mr. Wong (who was born in China and still holds Chinese nationality) is a middle school French teacher, here in California." (Stress the word "teacher" in speech. That is to say, emphasize the word when you say that sentence. Mr. Wong teaches the French language. His students tell everyone: "We love our French [language] teacher.")

"Ms. Smith (who was born in England and still holds British nationality) is an English middle school teacher, here in California." (Stress "English." She teaches algebra. Her students are fascinated by her British accent. Her students tell everyone: "We are so happy to have an English teacher this year. We will miss her when she returns to London.")

James

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think your second example would be better with "British teacher".

Status
Not open for further replies.