[Grammar] are some communicate sentences of mine correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangthi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]Hello teachers and friends,
I am not good at English, therefore I don't know whether some communicate sentences of mine are correct? If they are incorrect, please help me correct them.
Can I speak like this?
-When do you use it?
-I haven't never used it until yesterday.

I think I talked to you about my mom before.

That is a thing that you can see yourself through.

She said to me that she doesn't like this

Do you understand?
I see. I understood/understand.

Thank you for helping me!

NOT A TEACHER
Just a comment. "Communicate" is a verb. Say "communicative sentences".
:-D

Can you find any other problems?
Hello teachers and friends,
I am not good at English, therefore I don't know whether some communicative sentences of mine are correct. If they are incorrect, please help me correct them.
Can I speak like this?

-When did you use it?
-I had never used it until yesterday.

I think I talked to you about my mom before.

That is a thing that you can see yourself through.

She said to me that she didn't like this.

Do you understand?
I see. Understood./I understand.

Thank you for helping me!
NOT A TEACHER
Some sentences still don't sound very natural to me, but we'll need a teacher to decide that.

khanhhung has done well.

I think I talked to you about my mom before. :tick:

That is a thing that you can see yourself through. This doesn't make sense.

She said to me that she doesn't like this. More natural would be 'She told me that she doesn't/didn't like this'.

Sentences are meant to communicate.
What are "communicative sentences"?

khanhhung has done well.
I think I talked to you about my mom before. :tick:

That is a thing that you can see yourself through. This doesn't make sense.

She said to me that she doesn't like this. More natural would be 'She told me that she doesn't/didn't like this'.

That is a thing that you can see yourself through => I want to talk about a mirror.
She told me that she doesn't/didn't like this.
I don't understand this, "told" was in the past, and "doesn't like" is in the present, there is something wrong?

A mirror is a thing that you can see yourself (or 'your reflection') in.

If she said yesterday 'I don't like him', she probably still doesn't like him today.

Thank you so much.
My name is Hoang, whether I say like this: "I said to her that my name was(/or?) is Hoang"?

Last edited by a moderator:
My name is Hoang. Can I say this: "I said to her that my name was (or 'is') Hoang"?

It would be more natural to say 'I told her that my name was/is Hoang'. (Both was and is are correct.)

It would be more natural to say 'I told her that my name was/is Hoang'. (Both was and is are correct.)
If my name when I said to her was Hoang, but now it is changed. What should I say?

If my name had changed, I would be more likely to say "My name used to be Hoang but now it's ...".

That's right. And in reported speech it would be 'I told her that my name used to be Hoang but now it's Chuckerbutty' (though 'was' still works in place of 'used to be').

Please help me correct this sentence:
As far as you know, I was being a student for 15 years until yesterday but now I am not the student anymore.

[STRIKE]As far as you know,[/STRIKE] I was [STRIKE]being [/STRIKE]a student for 15 years until yesterday. [STRIKE]but now I am not the student anymore.[/STRIKE]

There is no need to say 'as far as I know'. You know yourself better.

not a teacher

[STRIKE]As far as you know,[/STRIKE] I was [STRIKE]being [/STRIKE]a student for 15 years until yesterday. [STRIKE]but now I am not the student anymore.[/STRIKE]

There is no need to say 'as far as I know'. You know yourself better.

not a teacher

If I had talked about a guy my friend, has it been correct?

If I had talked about a guy to my friend, [strike]has it been[/strike] would it be correct?

If you were talking to a friend about someone else, you wouldn't say "I was a student for 15 years". You would say "He" or give the guy's name.

If you were talking to a friend about someone else, you wouldn't say "I was a student for 15 years". You would say "He" or give the guy's name.
Thank you so much. But why did you use "would be" instead of "would have been"?

Thank you so much. But why did you use "would be" instead of "would have been"?

I didn't use "would be" or "would have been". I used "wouldn't say" and "would say".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back