Can you say: I could invite a good friend of mine so we can/could make it a party of

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Can you say:

I could invite a good friend of mine so we can/could make it a party of four.

Should I stick to the same tense?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm. We're going out for dinner and drinks. (Do we know each other that well? ;-)) You say: "How about if I invite Bob to come too? That way we could make it a party of four." I say: "I don't care. Is it okay with Sally?" You say: "Yeah. She said she wouldn't mind." I say: "Then ask Bob if he wants to come."

Oh, what was the question? Yeah, probably better to stick with "could" since you started with it.

(I'm hungry. I'm going to get a burrito.)
;-)

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As with dozens of time before, both tenses work, at least for me. Why do you keep asking the same question?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As Mike said, "Why do you keep asking the same question?"

B

B45

I'm sorry, but it just confuses me, because both works and I always think that there's only one correct answer. In my mind it's either can or could.

So, I shouldn't stick with the same tense either?

B

B45

Just like this question I'm about to ask me, so instead of starting a new thread, I've decided to just post it here, in case forum members complain again. I promise this will be my last can/could question. I apologize -

There are so many ways you can tie your shoe lace. You could do the double loop. Or you could do the butterfly style.

So in this example can could be used or should it be can?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can use 'could' as you've done, or you could use 'can'. (I'm assuming you mean in the second two of the three sentences.)
If you mean the first sentence, you could use 'could'.
I'd use can/could/could or can/can/can or can/can/could. This is something you're going to have to grow into with experience.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm sorry, but it just confuses me, because both works and I always think that there's only one correct answer. In my mind it's either can or could. - That's where your first language can be of some help: do not hesitate to use could each time there is бы in the Russian version. By the same token, can will be closer to the Russian sentence without бы. In a word, the difference between can and could in your example will be basically the same as between можем and смогли бы.

So, I shouldn't stick with the same tense either?
If that could be of any help. :)

B

B45

That's just mind boggling.. Especially, the third option:

There are so many ways you can tie your shoe lace. You can do the double loop. Or you could do the butterfly style. - this is like mixing tenses.

And you mentioned that this one is acceptable as well ---

There are so many ways you could tie your shoe lace. You can do the double loop. Or you could do the butterfly style. - this is just so complex in my mind...

Really? All of these are OKAY? Ahhh.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do I look like I'm kidding?
It depends on the intonation, the pause between sentences, the question asked if any, and other factors.
A: "How can I do this?"
B: "Well, you can do it this way." [pause to think] "Or you could do it this way."

B

B45

I dont know. Do you look like that cat in your profile pic? If so, you definitely mean business. What type of cat is that anyway, an owl cat? It's got glaring owl eyes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, I don't look much like the cat. He's a Tonkinese.

B

B45

Again, I'm keeping this in the same thread because I don't want y'all to get upset...

A friend teaches me a lot of stuff on business. And I say to her:

Wow! I can/could learn a lot from you.

What's the difference here? I sense a subtle difference in even the most minute nuance. No?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Nuance you mean?

'Could' is a bit more polite.

not a teacher

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see a politeness issue here. If, anything, "can" is a bit more positive, but the difference is insignificant in conversation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Wow! I can/could learn a lot from you."
"Could" is an implied conditional.
"I can learn ..." is a simple unqualified statement.
"I could learn ..." has an unspecified, unspoken 'if' clause - "if I wanted to; if I remained your friend; if I listened to you more often; if we spent more time together".
I think 'could' is possibly more polite, but the situational context needs to be taken into account. For example, if it's only a casual friend or a potential friend/girfriend, "I can" presumes a continuing relationship in which that person is prepared to impart knowledge to you.
You: "I can learn a lot from you." (Possibly a presumption)
Her: "Maybe you could, if I intended seeing you again."

You: "I could learn a lot from you."
Her: "Really? Do you think so?"
(non-committal)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Again, I'm keeping this in the same thread because I don't want y'all to get upset...

A friend teaches me a lot of stuff on business. And I say to her:

Wow! I can/could learn a lot from you.

What's the difference here? I sense a subtle difference in even the most minute nuance. No?

I like to look at the practical side of things. If it is a friend who you have, in fact, learned a lot from, you could say:
I have learned a lot from you.
If, on the other hand, you are talking to someone who you would like to be your mentor it makes more sense to say:
I could learn a lot from you.

(I realize I haven't talked about the difference between can and could, but while that might be relevant in a different context, it is not, I think, relevant in this context.)
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's just mind boggling.. Especially, the third option:

There are so many ways you can tie your shoe lace. You can do the double loop. Or you could do the butterfly style. - this is like mixing tenses.

And you mentioned that this one is acceptable as well ---

There are so many ways you could tie your shoe lace. You can do the double loop. Or you could do the butterfly style. - this is just so complex in my mind...

I think the problem is that you want one rule to cover all instances of the usage (or possible usage) of can/could. In the examples you have given (the shoe lace(s)), either works. In fact, I think you know more than you realize. Just be patient.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.