I give a special gift to you, hope you love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I give a special gift to you, hope you love that.

Is this sentence correct?

Can this be said:?:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am giving you a special gift, and I hope you love it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have a special gift for you. I hope you like/love it.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
for = to ?

It means pass the item to other.

Am I wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"For" means "destined to be given to".

I have bought a present. It is for you.
I have bought a present for you.

You are the intended recipient.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. Rover has changed your "I give a special gift to you" to "I have a special gift for you".
We don't use the simple present tense for actions like this.
Do you understand how to use the present tense for action? In one of your others threads you have something like "They invite me to a party". We don't use the present tense like that.
There is almost no situation where you'd say, "I give a special gift to you". Do you understand this?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, you're not wrong. Rover has changed your "I give a special gift to you" to "I have a special gift for you".
We don't use the simple present tense for actions like this.
Do you understand how to use the present tense for action? In one of your others threads you have something like "They invite me to a party". We don't use the present tense like that.
There is almost no situation where you'd say, "I give a special gift to you". Do you understand this?

I'm confused with that. Please explain it to me.
I understand English or read a news in English that I tried to translate from English to Chinese with word by word.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm confused with that. Please explain it to me.
I understand English or read a news in English that I tried to translate from English to Chinese with word by word.
Well, you can't do that and expect to write good English. I'd suggest you stop translating word for word immediately, and your progress will probably improve dramatically. The structures of English and Chinese are just too different to do this - as are the structures of any two languages, really.
What you must do is read a sentence, understand it, and then express it properly in the other language.

The point about the present tense in your last post is this: If both you and the other person are standing there, and you are giving a present to the other person, there is absolutely no place for the sentence, "I give a special gift to you." Maybe in Chinese, this is how you say it. In English, you'd need something like Rover suggested. Your sentence is grammatical, but it has no function in speech or writing.
We normally use the present continuous. You might say "I am giving this present to you because I think you'll like it."

I'd suggest you do some systematic study on present tense, present continuous (progressive) tense, and simple past tense (to start with). Learn how we use those in English. It's different from Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.