Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Dear Teachers
please help with the following sentence:

"Defining what I am talking about can always come later, but that won’t be necessary to establish its presence."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi [STRIKE]Dear Teachers[/STRIKE] Unnecessary (and neither word should be capitalised)

Please help with the following sentence:

"Defining what I am talking about can always come later, but that won’t be necessary to establish its presence."

See my corrections above in red.

Where did you find that sentence? It's important to quote your source.

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
See my corrections above in red.

Where did you find that sentence? It's important to quote your source.

Thank you for first correcting my sentence (when somebody correct any sentence I learn mach more) and second for replay.
That was whole of a sentence. It come from a book "define definition" a logical book. is there something wrong with it? I think the writer is not an Englishman, maybe.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for first correcting my sentence (when somebody corrects any sentence I learn [STRIKE]mach[/STRIKE] much more) and second for your/the [STRIKE]replay[/STRIKE] reply.

That [STRIKE]was whole of a[/STRIKE] sentence [STRIKE]It come[/STRIKE] came from [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the book "Define Definition", a logic[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE] book. Is there something wrong with it? I think the writer is not an [STRIKE]Englishman,[/STRIKE] native English speaker. [STRIKE]maybe.[/STRIKE]

It's a rather odd sentence without any context. What does the "it" in "its presence" refer to? If it simply refers to "what I am talking about", we would need to know what the person is talking about to be certain if the sentence is correct.

jaleel2007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is going to be like this, whole the chapter. It can be about anything, like logic, god,...
This is the beginning of the chapter.
"If there is something there that I can point to, then I don’t need to define what I am talking about. Defining what I am talking about can always come later, but that won’t be necessary to establish its presence."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]It is going to be like this,[/STRIKE] The whole [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] chapter is like this. It can be about anything, like logic, god, etc.

This is the beginning of the chapter:

"If there is something there that I can point to, then I don’t need to define what I am talking about. Defining what I am talking about can always come later, but that won’t be necessary to establish its presence."

Now we have the whole quote, it's much clearer.

If there is a physical object, I can point to it. I don't need to define it. I can define it later but I don't need to do that simply to prove that it exists. I can do that by pointing to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.