Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can I say, 'he ate himself dead'? if I want to say that he died as a result of having eaten too much? If not, what would be a proper way to say this?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know of no cases in which overeating led directly to death.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say, 'he ate himself dead'? if I want to say that he died as a result of having eaten too much? If not, what would be a proper way to say this?

What a great question!

"Ate himself sick" is a common figure of speech. It means he ate so much he got sick. "Ate himself dead" would be understood as humor, word play on a common expression.

If you're not trying to be funny, say "He ate himself to death." That's the correct figure of speech.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I want to use it in a situation which is not funny and at the same time I want to use it figuratively to comment on a situation in which someone expands their business beyond what they can manage. 'To bite off more than one can chew' somehow does not seem adequate enough to me since it does not convey the idea of ultimate punishment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did someone expand their business to the point where they died? If not, I see no reason to use anything to do with death in whatever phrase you choose.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Might the OP liken 'death' to 'failure'?

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Matthew, the obesity and its effects killed him, not the eating. But I get your point.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I want to use it in a situation which is not funny and at the same time I want to use it figuratively to comment on a situation in which someone expands their business beyond what they can manage. 'To bite off more than one can chew' somehow does not seem adequate enough to me since it does not convey the idea of ultimate punishment.

The person overextended himself. Ate himself to death wouldn't work here for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.