Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi, teachers

Do some native speakers of English pronounce "you" like "j" as in yes, year,etc?
When I look "you" up in the dictionary, it should be pronounced as "ju" or "jə".
When I hear some native Engish speakers say "you", it sometimes sounds like "i" or "j".

Please help! Thank you very much.

Kannon

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The "y" sound in "you" is exactly the same as in "yes" and "year" and every other word I can think of that starts with a "y".

You might not hear it clearly if someone says something like "would you", when it might sound like "wuh'jew" (sorry, I don't do phonetic symbols).

Kannon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your reply!

Kannon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
[FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]Dear Piscean,
[FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]Thank you forresponding to my question.
I wanted to ask if "you" can be pronounced as just "j"instead of "ju" or
[FONT="MS 明朝"] [/FONT]"jə"(omission of u or ə sounds)
because the other day, I was watching some movie, an actress was saying,"I need you to do me a favor". I know sometimes if d sound combineswith “you”, it sounds like

[FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]dju:/ or ʤ u: as you said, but when she was saying “need you”, it sounded like “ni:di”.I was wondering why “you” sounded like “i”, and I thought maybe only "j"sound of "ju" or[FONT="MS 明朝"] [/FONT]"jə" was pronounced and soundedlike “i” (i and j sounds sound similar for the Japanese although they aredifferent for native speakers) ... I’m not a native speaker of English, so Ijust wanted to know some people pronounce it like that.. Thank you for your help.
[FONT=MS Pゴシック][/FONT]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ye is an old form of you, though it is rarely heard nowadays except in some dialects, and mostly among older speakers there. If the actress was in a historical drama, it could make sense.

Kannon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for your reply!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Kannon, please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button which appears in the bottom left-hand corner of every post. It saves time for everyone.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ye is an old form of you, though it is rarely heard nowadays except in some dialects, and mostly among older speakers there. If the actress was in a historical drama, it could make sense.
If we're talking about really ancient historical dramas, in words like "yclept", the 'y' is pronounced differently too.

Status
Not open for further replies.