[Vocabulary] What is a word that means "to change or alter a trajectory (usually destiny)"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan89

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
What is a word that means "to change or alter a trajectory (usually destiny)"?

Hello!

Recently I stumbled on a word - a verb - in the Oxford Dictionary of English with the explanation roughly something along this line:

"To change or alter a trajectory (of something, especially fate or destiny)"

But I can't exactly recall how this verb was spelled, so I want to ask if anyone has any idea of which verb it might be that has this specified meaning? I think the verb began with the letter "P" or "R", though I'm not 100% that I remembered correctly in this regard. Thanks for your input! :)

J

J&K Tutoring

Re: What is a word that means "to change or alter a trajectory (usually destiny)"?

Since you're unsure of the original definition, maybe the word actually was 'alter'?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What is a word that means "to change or alter a trajectory (usually destiny)"?

J&K, that word was in the title.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Reshape, but it is not specific to fate or destiny. I wonder why the word trajectory (path) is used.

J

J&K Tutoring

From the OP: "roughly something along this line"

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

But he said he did not know the word. How likely is that after he used it in his title?

J

J&K Tutoring

As likely as any other. I think the OP has subconsciously remembered his word. As a learner with (I presume) a limited vocabulary, it would be easy for him to imagine there must be another word that he doesn't know. My thesaurus doesn't yield a better alternative, and I haven't noticed other responders coming up with much either, other than tedmc's reshape. which is a possibility, but not better than alter for this usage, in my opinion.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Sorry, but your explanation makes no sense to me.

OP: I'm looking for a word that means change or alter....
J&K: How about alter?

BTW, I have noticed that you edited your original response.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

Apology accepted.

So what's your answer to the OP's question?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

No apology was offered. You are backtracking at an amazing rate.

I haven't spent much time on the OP's question. Obviously you didn't either. May I assume that your second choice would be "change"?

J

J&K Tutoring

I haven't spent much time on the OP's question. Take your time. I'll wait. I'll wait for post #20,781. How many of those actually offered an affirmative response to the original post?

I'm reminded why I don't come here often. Every few months I come looking for some information to help in my work. I get caught up in some interesting discussions, I begin to feel like maybe I've helped a couple of people, and then I find that I've stepped into someone else's sandbox and they don't like it. Pedantry goes only one way, I guess.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I am done with this. You may continue on with your fantasy if you wish to.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

If you're still reading this, allan, you could consider deflect.

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but does have a similar meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

How about "reroute" or "redirect"? Those start with an "r" and mean to change course or trajectory.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales

My problem was with the idea of changing fate or destiny. My understanding of both of those words is that man cannot control them, which is why they feature so strongly in myth, legend and religion.

In my experience people either believe in fate, or in free-will where your actions control the outcomes rather than life following some preordained plan.

Rover's suggestion is a good one, but I think you would have to use a phrase such as "to try to deflect fate or destiny", indicating the futility of that action, because you cannot change the unchangeable.

For the moment, this question has me completely stumped.

[Update: Ems has also made some good suggestions, however, while I was writing this I could only see Rover's post.]

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I liked the earlier "reshape". We use the phrase "to shape one's destiny" so I don't see why we shouldn't use "reshape" in the same way. However, if the OP thinks he/she found a word which can mean only ​"to change or alter a trajectory (usually destiny)", then I can't think of one.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Could it be "veer?" ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

That's not a natural collocation with "destiny".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Nor is it transitive.

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hello!

Recently I stumbled on a word - a verb - in the Oxford Dictionary of English with the explanation roughly something along this line:

"To change or alter a trajectory (of something, especially fate or destiny)"

But I can't exactly recall how this verb was spelled, so I want to ask if anyone has any idea of which verb it might be that has this specified meaning? I think the verb began with the letter "P" or "R", though I'm not 100% that I remembered correctly in this regard. Thanks for your input! :)

I agree with "reroute". You can certainly reroute a trajectory. Your fate or destiny might be rerouted if something drastic happens to you.

--lotus

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.