Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You use " thread" when you're talking about a post in this forum. But which one do you use in real life when you are talking about something? Can I use " thread " for "issue" in real life?

Should I use "subject" "topic", "issue" or "thread"?

For example, can I say "Can we change this Topic?" when ı want to change the topic that we're talking about?

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

I wouldn't substitute 'thread' for 'issue' in conversation. I come from the Midwestern USA. To me, an 'issue' is the underlying problem under discussion.

I might, however, say something like, "I've lost the thread of this discussion" meaning, "I'm confused. What were we originally talking about?"

My 'taxonomy' of the words you listed would be: Topic, Subject, Issue, Thread. I can imagine a TV debate moderator saying, "Tonight, our topic is Politics. Our subject is Immigration. The issue is: Should asylum seekers be allowed easier entry into the United States?"

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You use " thread" when you're talking [STRIKE]abaut[/STRIKE] about a post in this forum.
A thread is composed of one or more posts.

But which one do you use in real life when you are talking [STRIKE]abaut abaut[/STRIKE] about something? Can I use "thread" for "issue" in real life?

Should I use "subject", "topic", "issue" or "thread?"

For example, can I say "Can we change this topic?" when I want to change the topic (that) we're talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.