Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Hello.
I will have a photo fair, and due to variety of photo genres in the fair it was hard to make decision of the name/heading for the fair. And here came an idea for using "at a crossroads". But I am stuck with should I use article "the" or "a" in the name?

Thank you much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Both are correct. If it is the only crossroads, then use the, but if it is a more general idea of roads crossing, then I would use a. From what you have said, it does sound more a case for the indefinite article (a) to me. Others may feel differently, I'm afraid.

Nightly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Tdol, I am grateful for your answer.

The usage of this phrase will be in non physical way - cause it feels like I am at a/the crossroads in my thoughts and can't decide which how to name the exhibition.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "crossroad" suggests anything descriptive of a photo fair.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It sounds like you're making a metaphor about life being a journey, and on that journey you're currently at a crossroad(s).

Since life tends to have many such crossroads, as per Tdol's suggestion above, I'd use 'at a crossroad(s)'.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

The usage of this phrase will be in non physical way - cause it feels like I am at a/the crossroads in my thoughts and can't decide which how to name the exhibition.

I must admit that, like Mike, I find this a strange name for a show of photos of various genres. If the photos had a common theme relating to people or institutions being at a decisive point in their lives or development, then it might be appropriate. To me, "at a/the crossroads" doesn't mean not being able to come to a satisfying conclusion about something.
Not being more familiar with the event and the work, it's difficult to suggest something that might be more appropriate. If there truly is a great variety of subjects and approaches, then perhaps "From All Angles", or something similar might work. It's a common English phrase expressing the idea of examining something from many viewpoints. Just a thought.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or Different Viewfinders - except that most photographers today use SLR cameras, which don't have a viewfinder in the original sense.

Or Different Perspectives/Views/Point of View?

b

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Decent DSLRs have both a rear screen and a viewfinder. My ex-flatmate is a professional photographer and he always uses the viewfinder.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: indeed they do. But in my youth a viewfinder gave an approximation to the actual photo, taken from a slightly different angle than the lens. With an SLR you actually look through the lens (via a prism, which explains the clunk you hear when it moves out of the way and lets the light in).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.