[Grammar] interpreting versus interpretation [conference and bilateral interpreting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

First take a look at the text below:

These may include MAs in applied translation studies, scientific and technical translation, conference and bilateral interpreting, audiovisual translation, specialized British Sign Language and audio description.

I want to know can I use "interpretation" instead of "interpreting" in the text above?

It has been always my question that what is the difference between a noun created by gerund like (interpreting) and a noun of a verb like (interpretation).

Thank you in advance,

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One difference between a gerund noun and a regular noun is that a gerund can take an adverb and a regular noun can take an adjective. In this case "bilateral" is an adjective. That rules out the gerund.

You should use "interpretation".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good point.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you so much for your useful replies. So, Both "interpretation" and "interpreting" are correct.

But I still have not received my answer about the differences between gerund noun and regular noun. Why some times you native speakers of English use noun gerund and some times regular noun?

For example I guess it is incorrect to say "Translating studies" rather than "Translation studies." But as you mentioned earlier both "bilateral interpreting" and "bilateral interpretation" are correct. Can you please explain more about the differences of these two types of nouns?

Thank you in advance,

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That requires a longer response. I'll get back to it later if nobody has dealt with it.

Dear Piscean I am enthusiastically waiting to see your response. I just wanted to remind you don't forget to get back here :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.