[General] I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinathnarasimha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ...

I want to shorten the text in the title of a document that I am currently preparing. What I want to say in the title is the following -- "Fast, Delay-Efficient and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information", but I want to say this in short. Which of the following would be acceptable/correct?

1. "Fast, Delay and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that '-Efficient' has been removed after the word 'Delay')
2. "Fast, Delay- and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that 'Efficient' has been removed while retaining the hypen after the word 'Delay')

Thanks in advance.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ..

Neither of your shorter alternatives is actually shorter. Anyhow, they both look fine to me. Not that I know what you're talking about.

Welcome to the forum!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: I want to shorten "Delay-efficient and Throughput-efficient" to something like ..

I want to shorten the text in the title of a document that I am currently preparing. What I want to say in the title is the following -- "Fast, Delay-Efficient and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information", but I want to say this in short. Which of the following would be acceptable/correct?

1. "Fast, Delay and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that '-Efficient' has been removed after the word 'Delay')
2. "Fast, Delay- and Throughput-Efficient Scheduling Policies with Heterogeneously-Delayed Network-State Information" (Note that 'Efficient' has been removed while retaining the hypen after the word 'Delay')

Thanks in advance.

Only the second proposal is strictly correct. You need the hyphen after the word "delay" to indicate that, along with "throughput", it's linked to "efficient". I prefer the original title because it requires less parsing to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.