Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi guys.
Which one seems more correct?
1. ''I have just received a request from management department to conduct a survey on customers satisfaction in our services.''

2. ''I have just received a request to conduct a survey on customers satisfaction in our services from management department.''

Is ''from management department'' an adverbial phrase? An adverbial phrase should always be placed at the end of a sentence, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jasonkhlim, you will notice that I have changed your thread title to make it relevant to the contents of your post. Titles like "sentence structure" are useless. Thread titles should include some/all of the words/phrases you are querying.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'a request from the management department' is correct because the prepositional phrase functions as an adjective modifying 'request'.

jasonkhlim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Jasonkhlim, you will notice that I have changed your thread title to make it relevant to the contents of your post. Titles like "sentence structure" are useless. Thread titles should include some/all of the words/phrases you are querying.

Ok, noted. Thank you.

jasonkhlim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think 'a request from the management department' is correct because the prepositional phrase functions as an adjective modifying 'request'.

Yeah, I agree with your statement.
Do you mean that ''from management department'' functions as an adjective, which is modifying ''request''?
Then what about ''to conduct a survey on customers satisfaction''?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I have just received a request from management to conduct a survey to gauge customer satisfaction with our services.
Note that "management department" would be highly unnatural; no company has a "management department."

jasonkhlim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Note that "management department" would be highly unnatural; no company has a "management department."

Thanks for pointing that out.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An adverbial phrase should always be placed at the end of a sentence, right?

Please forget that you ever learned this. It's entirely wrong.

A request from management to survey customers on their satisfaction with the services they receive.
A request to survey customers on their satisfaction with the services they receive from management.

In the first, the request is from management.
In the second, they services are performed my management.
You see how completely different they are?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Companies organise themselves along lines different from grammar- I have never come across one with a management department.

Status
Not open for further replies.