Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the phrase "Lord have mercy"

Should there not be a comma before 'have' in that phrase? e.g. "Lord, have mercy."

Also, I wanted to know if it is possible to replace the last noun (mercy) in that phrase to a person, place, or thing.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Lord have mercy" as an exclamation does not require a comma. If those words are the beginning of a prayer, then it does.

I don't understand what your second sentence means. You can't say e.g. "Lord have Disneyland," if you're thinking of replacing "mercy" with some other noun.

infinity42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I apologize. I meant something along the lines of lord have patience, determination, etc. I always hear people switching the different types of qualities in that kind of exclamation.

However, what I meant to say is it possible to use a different kind of noun when using that type of verb in a sentence? For example, "You can have (insert name here). I don't want him/her" or "You're going to have him/her in your class next year."

In the case of my second sentence, would it be possible to switch the quality (mercy in this case) presented in the exclamation to a person?

Like say, "Lord, have (insert name here)." or "Lord, have him/her."

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, what I meant to say is it possible to use a different kind of noun when using that type of verb in a sentence? For example, "You can have (insert name here). I don't want him/her" or "You're going to have him/her in your class next year."

Yes, these are all acceptable, in the right context.

In the case of my second sentence, would it be possible to switch the quality (mercy in this case) presented in the exclamation to a person?

Like say, "Lord, have (insert name here)." or "Lord, have him/her."

No, these don't work except perhaps in a very limited context - say maybe in a prayer for a recently deceased person. Even then it doesn't sound very natural.

'Lord have mercy' is a set phrase, so you can't really swap out different qualities, especially when it's being used as an interjection.

There might be a few other qualities you could swap out that might work in certain contexts, but I'd mostly consider it a set phrase.

On a marginally related side note, here's a polka with lyrics using the phrase "You can have her".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, use a comma. It's like "Steve, get the eggs."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You do see it used with and without the comma. I assume that those who use the comma could see it as speaking directly to God, and those who don't use a comma see it more as a subjunctive exhortation, like May the Lord have mercy.

Status
Not open for further replies.