Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Namibia
In our country, all teachers from state high school overly emphasize on accuracy of grammar points. They think that 'Neither of' must go together with only singular verb form. In my opinion, it can be used with both plural and singular form. They also assume that 'neither of' demands singular form so respective possessive pronoun must be in singular. They argue that only singular form of possessive pronoun must be used.

e.g Neither of the brothers does his homework.

However, in my opinion, it is lso acceptable if the student writes like this ' Neither of the brothers does their homework'.
What is the difference between these sentences.? Is my opinion acceptable.? Please help

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please end your questions with a question mark only.

Frankly, I don't ask myself what's acceptable. I ask myself what makes sense. When you say that neither of the brothers did his homework it is perfectly clear what that means. However, when you say that neither of the brothers did their homework it makes me think that one of them was supposed to do not only his homework but other's as well.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please correct the information in your profile, aalwin.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Brothers" tells us that they are both male, so there is no need to use the plural form. The plural is used to avoid using male pronouns where the antecedent may be mixed male and female.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that "Neither of the brothers does their homework" is fine. However, style guides frowned on this usage until quite recently. Your teacher is following the rule he or she* was taught.

Teaching of foreign languages inevitably lags behind current usage. There's rarely anything wrong with using English as it's taught, though, so I recommend following your teacher's guidelines. You can catch up with current usage later; it won't be terribly different from what you're learning.

*Nowadays, "they were taught" would be accepted by many editors but some people still dislike it.

Status
Not open for further replies.