Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
hello, in the following sentence, how many days there are exactly? exactly 5 days? at least 5 days? maximum 5 days?

over as little as 5 days.

thank you.

Re: what is the meaning this sentence?

I would say there is no way to determine the exact number of days.

I'd say it excludes less than 5 days.

It is not a sentence. It is a phrase, and it should be "over as few as five days."

Last edited:

You have a typo, probus, in "as".
In any case, I don't agree. It's a period of 5 days that's being referred to, not five distinct days. "... over as little time as five days."

Hello. In the following sentence, how many days ​are there [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] exactly? Exactly 5 days, at least 5 days or a maximum of 5 days?

"... over as little as 5 days."

Thank you.

Note my corrections above, marked in red.

As you've been told, it's a phrase, not a complete sentence. It could be used in something like "I write children's books. I can write one in/over as little as five days". That means that the speaker can complete a book in a very short time and that sometimes it only takes five days. They can write the book in a period of time that is as short as five days.

saba, I have changed your original thread title.

As I think you already know:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Thank you very much. You are reason.
I have a question, as a result, can i say that number of days in the phrase is: 0<number of days is<=5 . Can i say?

Ok, thank you.

Thank you very much. You are reason.
I have a question, as a result, can i say that number of days in the phrase is: 0<number of days is<=5 . Can i say?

No. 5<=number of days.

I'm really confused! emsr2d2 told me :"...a very short time and that sometimes it only takes five days. (...as short as five days.)" In my opinion that is meaning: number of days is<=5. But you say that 5<=number of days. In my opinion these two replies are inconsistency.

It's not inconsistent. "Sometimes it only takes 5 days" means 5 days or longer. Same at the original.

Number of days >=5

"As short as" / "As little as" is the lower limit. "As long as" is an upper limit. "It can take as long as ten days to get a visa" means 10 is the maximum.

You have a typo, probus, in "as".
In any case, I don't agree. It's a period of 5 days that's being referred to, not five distinct days. "... over as little time as five days."

Thanks. Typo fixed. On reflection I agree with your correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back