Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello.

The ropes should be wrapped tightly around mooring bitts and protected against the possibility of self-loosening, and their length should make towing possible immediately after they are transferred to tugboats.

Is there any logic in the above sentence?

Could someone help me? Please.

Please put me right on that if need be.

Thank you.

I know that it is grammatically correct to say "immediately that they are transferred to tugboats" but "immediately after they are transferred to tugboats" is also acceptable and the meaning is the same.

Thank you.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

1. My understanding is that, once rope is brought onboard a ship and employed in some specific task, it is referred to as a line. I think you are talking about a mooring line. A mooring line of a ship needing the services of a tugboat would likely employ a line of a size referred to as a cable. It may also be too unwieldy to be wrapped around a mooring bit, but have an eyesplice worked into it to loop over a bollard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mooring.jpg

There very possibly are regional variations in nautical terms. Best to check your words with your intended audience.

2. You have two independent clauses that really are talking about two different things: a. how to employ a mooring line, and b. a physical property of that line. I recommend you separate them into two sentences.

NOT A SAILOR

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The ropes should be wrapped tightly around mooring bitts and protected against the possibility of self-loosening. (securely fastened to the mooring bit)

and their length should make towing possible immediately after they are transferred to tugboats. (Not clear, What is "they"? Does "transferred means "tied")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.