Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Yemen
Current Location
Yemen
Hi dear I'm new here and I have a question
My question about a sentence made me confused in contrary to fact though I'm understand this topic
(( you---- a doctor, if you ------ harder at school))
My teacher told me that the answer is conditional 3 unreal in the past (could have been & had studied).
But I also insist that we can use with the conditional 2 unreal in the present( would be & studied)
Because at school maybe in the past or I'm still at school.
Am I true or false dear
Thank you

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Dear" is not a suitable address for a forum.
Type 3 Conditional is appropriate as it refers to an unreal past, which is what the sentence is about. The writer is no longer in school.
Type 2 Conditional refers to "now or anytime" even though the verb used is in the simple past tense.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. [STRIKE]dear[/STRIKE] I'm new here and I have a question.
My question is about a sentence which made me confused [STRIKE]in contrary to fact[/STRIKE] even though [STRIKE]I'm[/STRIKE] I understand this topic.

[STRIKE](([/STRIKE] You ---- a doctor, if you ------ harder at school. [STRIKE]))[/STRIKE]

My teacher told me that the answer is a type 3 conditional [STRIKE]3[/STRIKE] unreal in the past (could have been & had studied).
[STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, I [STRIKE]also insist[/STRIKE] think/believe that we can use [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] the type 2 conditional [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] unreal in the present (space here) (would be & studied).

Because at school maybe in the past or I'm still at school. I don't know what you are trying to say here.
Am I [STRIKE]true[/STRIKE] right or [STRIKE]false[/STRIKE] wrong? [STRIKE]dear[/STRIKE]
Thank you.

Note my corrections above, marked in red. Remember to end every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Aren't the different types of conditionals considered proper nouns and therefore should be capitalized?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They are not proper nouns.

Status